DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What character do u hate the most ?

Guest Dedicated KT

In fact, Egwene was far from being a know it all... she surrounded herself with people that knew alot more than she did on subjects that unlike you not needed knowledge about the most. But in fact I think that the lad would be the character that I dislike the most, because he was self-righteous, and anyone who had a different opinion than him was not only wrong but stupid.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact, Egwene was far from being a know it all... she surrounded herself with people that knew alot more than she did on subjects that unlike you not needed knowledge about the most. But in fact I think that Galad Damodred would be the character that I dislike the most, because he was self-righteous, and anyone who had a different opinion than him was not only wrong but stupid.

Edited by Kesiera_Sedai

I do not recall Galad claiming any character stupid/wrong either in thought or in speech.

Galad to me seems to think things through before saying/doing anything.

about Egwene; she does not seem to be a know-it-all to me either.

He never did, but in his thoughts whenever it was his POV he spoke of people who had differing opinions than his as being unenlightened...both Morgase's and Elayne spoke of him having an overly simplistic view of right vs. wrong, and Morgase's told him in ToM that his view of the was too black or white and that she felt this was her fault because of she was only 18 when she married his father and didn't know what to do with him, although I feel she couldn't have done too badly since he sees her as his mom even though he's old enough to remember Tigraine.

galad is old enough to remember his mother? how?

tigraine disappeared in 972ne,and i always assumed that galad was barely 1 year old

at that time,galad couldn't have been older than that.

before perrin's trial,galad told morgase that he killed valda,and she thought:'valda had

reputedly been one of the greatest swordmen alive and galad had bested him in a duel?this youth?"

morgase called galad "this youth" lol,most adults remember little before their third or fourth

birthdays,so if galad was three years old when his mother disappeared he was born in 969ne,

the meeting between morgase and galad took place in 1000ne,that would make morgase 43

and galad 31!

Edited by jack of shadows

I can see how Galad's everything is black or white could be pretty annoying, Elayne said a few times how unbearable he was.

Egwene was extremely manipulative.  Look at how she treated Nyn in Tar, or when she would lie then get angry at Elayne and Nyn for almost exposing her lies.  Her bullying people to swear loyalty to her.  Her by default assuming Rand's plan was wrong, and even trying to lie to Moriane about her dreams at the meeting.  Turning the aiel are wrong for looting the stone, to then trying to insinuate it was Rand who needs to accept other cultures,  Rands POV even said that was typical Egwene. 

and Eladia for nearly destroying the White Tower and her almost genocidal attitude towards the Blue Ajah.

It's an exaggeration, but you could think of her as Lieutenant Dub from Švejk (at least in the earlier books): "Do you know me? I tell you, you don't know me yet. You may perhaps know me from the good side, but wait till you know me from the bad side. I'm nasty. Don't imagine I'm not. I make everyone cry. Very well, then, do you know me or don't you know me?"

Lieutenant Dub is awesome.

Edited by szilard

I can see how Galad's everything is black or white could be pretty annoying, Elayne said a few times how unbearable he was.

Egwene was extremely manipulative. Look at how she treated Nyn in Tar, or when she would lie then get angry at Elayne and Nyn for almost exposing her lies. Her bullying people to swear loyalty to her. Her by default assuming Rand's plan was wrong, and even trying to lie to Moriane about her dreams at the meeting. Turning the aiel are wrong for looting the stone, to then trying to insinuate it was Rand who needs to accept other cultures, Rands POV even said that was typical Egwene.

She was right about him needing to accept other cultures. His inability to understand them was apparently what led to the hypothetical future destruction the Aviendha saw when she went through the ter'angreal the second time. The only reason Egwene understood them was because when she was told she'd have to be trained and saw how different their culture was, she started from ground zero. Rand himself said that a big part of Lews Therin's failure was due the fact that he'd been an extremely arrogant man, then told Tam that he'd raised him better. I don't see Rand as arrogant, but does seem to lack the ability to empathize, I.e., see things from others points of view

But the incident in question was her thinking it was wrong of the aiel to loot the stone, until Rand pointed out Avi had.  Then suddenly Egwene was lecturing him as if Rand had been the one to criticize the aiel for looting the stone.  WHich is typical Egwene not admitting she could be wrong.

Why do people hate Egwene so much? I found her character refreshing...she was all business and did have definite ways of doing things that were sometimes contradictory, but I think alot of the tension between her and Rand come from the fact that she still saw him as just Rand, a man who could channel, and they both were changing in ways that meant that they didn't really know each other anymore, and him winning the Last Battle was depending on him doing it as Rand not as the dragon.

Rand & Egwene did not really know each other anymore?  from what I recall of their scenes together, they seemed to know each other at least partly; also when they mentioned the other in discussions with others.

and their core seemed to stay the same regardless of the changes they went through.

edit::  from what I recall from the series, few characters' core seemed to change.  Fain being the main one.

Edited by mb

In general what i like least with most of the female characters is the misandry. Don't want to debate it so wont talk more of that.

Also yea the bullying, However for her job the bullying does its trick. Not something I would like but it works.

But most of what Egwene does is not a problem though.

Her mind does get clouded when it comes to the Seanchan though, just the same as Rand with Aes Sedai and also confined spaces. Due to their treatment it makes them flawed and they make poor judgments, PTSD btw. Not that best when it comes to leading where you have to keep a level head.

All the main characters have their flaws though. I like the ones more though that don't exhibit those flaws every 5 minutes. Perrin being one who did, as well as Elayne and Egwene. Oh and Gawyn.

@kesiera,

"...him winning the last battle was depending on him doing it as rand not as the dragon".

this is too simplistic,when rand returned from dragonmount he was an amalgam of rand-

lews therin-dragon reborn and champion of light,moreover,rand returned compassionate,

focused and ready,in other words,he returned the complete leader in control of every aspect

of his personality,i don't deny that his ability to feel emotions again was important,but it

wasn't enough,e.g.to save his broken force at maradon he became a one man army and

destroyed everything the shadow threw at him,rand didn't go outside the city wall and 

invited the trollocs to sing kumbayah(guadalcanal diary rendition) with him.lol.

Edited by jack of shadows

• 2 weeks later...

I don't hate Mat, but I find him incredibly annoying. Why he is such a fan favourite astonishes me. He believes he is always right, treats women like children (some of the women treat him the same way, for sure), refuses to listen to logic and constantly complains about his duties. Not to mention the whole weird thing with Tuon.

Sure, there is something about him that just makes people like him. But to me, he is the by far most annoying and stupid character. He keeps getting intro trouble and he does not understand what is going on around him half of the time - politics is NOT his strong suite.

I see people go like "he is so nice and awesome and the girls are so mean to him", and I'm like... Are we reading the same books? He takes unneccessary risks, and he does not believe anyone - particularly women, even women who have held their own several times - are capable of managing themselves. He rushes after them in places like Ebou Dar and often makes more trouble than there originally was. He does not respect that they have their own lives to live and their own missions - because in his book, whatever they want to do is unimportant, the only important thing is that he keeps them "safe". Had it been up to him, all the women of the series would be locked up in a room and refused to go out - for their own safety. He des not listen to them, and he is mad when they lie to him - which they have to, to be able to do their thing. Most of the cases of him "saving" them stems from him rushing after them wherever they are, causing someone to notice him / follow him which then in turn gets them all into trouble - and then Mat ends up sorting it out, but it wouldn't happen in the first place if he hadn't been such an overprotective fool.

He is so condescending and incapable of seeing that others do not need his "protection", while at the same time complaining that they aren't grateful enough for what they never asked for. Plus, he has that same stupid block on killing women that Rand has. Which also is extremely condescending, in my book. Like women are children (whom most people would have problems killing).

Edited by OlwenaSedai

I know a lot of people dislike Egwene. I'm personally not crazy about her but the two main issues with her are this:

1) She often does the wrong thing for the right reasons. Examples: She starts deciding Rand is arrogant when he's basically just following Moiraine's advice on dealing with nobility/game of houses.

2) She can be outright hypocritical. Lots of instances, but mostly when it comes scolding others for experimenting outside of training when that's exactly what she does.

That said... my least favorite character of the "main" characters is Faile. I'm not quite sure why I've never really warmed to her, but mostly it's just that I think she's someone who is a little too self important. Her own "Aiel Society" for instance.

Sevanna & Couladin

Tuon

Galad

Elaida

Faile

All in all, I think I hated people when they were supposed to be hated and no more. Jordan liked to create really stubborn characters, but I understood most of them to an extent.

More than any individuals, though, I usually hated specific story lines that seemed like a distraction from the more enjoyable parts. This happened a lot more after book 6 or 7 when the world started to sprawl.

Storylines that were either downright boring or went on too long: 

The Knitting Circle

Hiding in the Circus

Elayne's reclaiming the Rose Crown

Hmmm...it looks like Elayne was in all of those storylines. I guess I didn't like her much.

Edited by Uncas

Elayne.  She ruins it for me.  I wanted to throat punch her by the time she is sent out of the Tower, not to mention by the end of the series.  A close second would have to be Egwene or Faile.  Either one could have suddenly tripped and fallen into a hole, and my experience would have brightened.

I didn't like Galad at all, in any book after Book 2. Masema got exactly what he deserved...He caused more death than any Darkfriend, Nyneave's not a killer, but I wouldnt have minded if she'd used the reverse Healing weave and stopped his heart in Book 5. I always liked Faile, but I've always admired strong-willed women, and I think RJ does also...he's said before that the female characters (Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne, Aviendha) are all different facets of his wife's personality. Has anyone noticed that the main male charactets are all intelligent, well-meaning but often clueless men and the women are all strong-willed, take charge, and someimes bossy

I didn't like Galad at all, in any book after Book 2. Masema got exactly what he deserved...He caused more death than any Darkfriend, Nyneave's not a killer, but I wouldnt have minded if she'd used the reverse Healing weave and stopped his heart in Book 5. I always liked Faile, but I've always admired strong-willed women, and I think RJ does also...he's said before that the female characters (Nynaeve, Egwene, Elayne, Aviendha) are all different facets of his wife's personality. Has anyone noticed that the main male charactets are all intelligent, well-meaning but often clueless men and the women are all strong-willed, take charge, and sometimes bossy? The only female character I didn't like is Tuon. She thinks the world revolves around her.

Edited by Kesiera_Sedai