DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What character do u hate the most ?

Guest Dedicated KT

Guest Dedicated KT

Good evening Dragonmount, I am new to the forums but not the WOT though I have only started reading it 3 years ago I still haven't finished it. The farthest I got was half way into Book 7 and I've decided to re-read the series.

So now to the topic the character I HATE the most of this series is Nynaeve I just cannot stand her she thinks she knows everything and is quick to judge folks and control people. Whenever a chapter starts with her the whole time reading I just wanna skip her story part.

For my sake I hope she changes because it's murder for me to read about this female dog.

Please tell me who u hate the most, have a good night Dragonmount :)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey! welcome to the forums! A nice topic you have there :P 

Personally, I don't actually 'hate' any character but I'll go through a list of usual suspects. 

Nynaeve is interesting. People's opinion of her changes as the series progresses. Funnily it is in book 7 when opinion's start to change, and by the end of the series, she becomes on of the most beloved characters. (In general from experience)

Egwene is probably one of the most disliked characters and certainly caused a lot of controversy among fans. You either love her or hate her it seems. The feeling changes again towards the end of the series. 

Faile is another one of the most hated characters. Personally I think it's Perrin's PoV that makes it seem like she is so irritating, but she herself is actually cool, but there is a lot of hate for her. 

Gawyn: Pretty much disliked universally, perhaps not 'hated' because he's not really a main character. If I had to pick my most disliked it would be him. I don't mind people being stupid or petty for good story reasons, but Gawyn is completely irrational and ridiculous. 

Cadsuane: gets a lot of hate, not much like for the woman who stands up to the Dragon Reborn. I don't mind her personally. 

Probably others, but they are the main ones. 

I do not hate any character from the series. Even the villains. Enjoy them all. Though like Bel mentioned above, Gwayne comes close.

I have been very baffled by various opinions like these that pop up from time to time, in which a poster will state a venomous hatred or extreme dislike to certain characters from the series.

Makes me wonder if these heated judgements would still exist if the covers of his WoT books had CONAN in bold printed on the them. Or, at least 'From the author who wrote SEVEN Conan novels'.  Are some readers really expecting Hobbits or Harry Potters to be running around in this story? Not only does Tolkien's influence show in Jordan's fantasy, but, so does the great Robert E, Howard's, also. I believe even more so, which shows in these great characters that he created. Not namby-pamby Mary Sues. But characters that have,,,,,character, with an edge!

BTW, I just recently finished reading Jordan's first three Conon novels, and noticed a bit of the genesis of Faile in them, but also, more interestingly, I noticed that Mat is almost a perfect carbon copy of Conan!

Edited by Cosmic Champion

I'm also new to Dragonmount. I'm just beginning my second full read-through of the series and there are no characters I can really say that I hate (though the behavior of some, especially Nynaeve, Elayne, and Egwene, grew a bit tiresome in some of the middle books). They tended to grow into better things though and by the time of the Last Battle I could call myself a fan of Egwene.

Two others, however, Elaida and Gawyn, take first place in annoyance for their stubborn refusal to see anything but their own world-views (that particular flaw is hardly unique to those two, but they take the prize due to the lack of evidence supporting, and the heap of contrary possibilities that they ignore).

The only characters I hate are Elayne (your typical irritating spoiled princess character) and Elaida (for obvious reasons.)

I originally didn't like Nynaeve but she grew on me. Annoying, but entertaining.

I have never had a problem with either Egwene or Faile. Neither of them ever annoyed me much. Actually I liked Faile immediately after she was introduced in the "Mandarb" scene. I don't care for Gawyn but don't really dislike him since he's a minor character.

• 2 weeks later...

Never hated Elaida until the end and that whole willing to trade  Aes Sedai for her freedom, just didn't seem like the tough Elaida.

Egwene for me.  Simply because she never  changed as a character.  She started out as  a I know it all, I am right, I have to do things myself type and that's exactly how she stayed until her death.  Not to mention her death and the light of Tar Valon weave seemed too much of a push to make her the female epic equal to Rand.

Gawyn I understand being a prince his "its not fair a shepard is tasked to save the world" mindset.  But the whole Rand killed my mom regardless of how many times he was told that never happened and again he always seemed to complain.  Not to  mention the running off to face Dem by using ring he knew would kill him, regardless of the harm it would cause Egwene had me thinking does this guy think  of anyone but himself.  Sort of my complaint about Eayne, who never seemed to once think "I am bonded to the dragon reborn, so if I do something dumb it may doom the world."  She always stuck to my babies will be healthy so all it good mindset.

There aren't really any characters in the series I hate. Faile and Tuon come the closest, though I mostly just find Faile annoying, and with Tuon it's because of her Seanchan mindset which she can't help.

I'm not fond of any of the forsaken, but find them quite fun to read about, whilst Gawyn and Galad are the opposite. I like their characters but find them quite dull to read about and it's frustrating that they're too set in their own beliefs to see the reality.

I tell you I almost always hated all Aes Sedai when they were dealing with anyone other then Aes Sedai. It just seemed when Aes Sedai were dealing with the “normal” people of the world they could never do so in a caring, kind or genuine manner. It always comes across as we know better then you and you would not understand why. Did not matter who it was it always infuriated me to no end. Yet when they were interacting with other Aes Sedai its only then did we see their true character and I gained some appreciation for them.

Not surprisingly this also why I did not like Fortuona for much of the story, it seemed you could only appreciate her when she was alone with Mat. 

The only character I  viscerally dislike is Elayne. As in, i want to skip her chapters and never reread them. I kind of like Elaida etc, because theyre very good at being nasty characters, sort of like bad guy pro-wrestlers.

Elayne actually declined in my estimation, she started out as a spoiled, reckless princess with an admirable scrappin side, but the problem is thats exactly how she ended. Egwene and Nyneave both had character arcs to speak of, and learned to behave very differently by the end compared to the beginning (without losing the core of themselves either). Back in the first few books, it was the moron trio blundering from one disaster of their own incaution to the next. Eventually they split off and for the most part the other two still did very dangerous things, even inadvisable, but theyd do them because they believed the risk was worth it.  Elayne, on the other hand, just skipped along wherever her whim took her, constantly ignoring advice and warning (as opposed to judiciously weighing them, whether accepted or not). And she got a lot of the people around her killed doing it (somebody ought to add them up). The Elayne of Memories is not appreciably different than the Elayne of TEotW. Rand has poor taste, and putting this person in charge of an army, much less armies, is flatly lunatic.

Edited by mbuehner

I certainly am not a fan of Elayne either in the last few books. Never got to hate though. However, one moment in particular is when she looked liked a foolish ass in that round table she had with Perrin/Fail about his lordship on the very eve of the Last Battle. Boy, talk about someone who was so full of herself that she was flying around in la la land.

I do have to blame BS for that though, as that scene should have just been skipped altogether and given a very brief summery afterwards. IMO he tried to cram way too much into the ending.

Edited by Cosmic Champion

I love Nynaeve! She is brave, strong, courageous. She is unafraid to say how she feels. The relationship she has with Lan is just fantastic. Faile is extraordinary as well. How could you hate her? She was never afraid to fight for what she loved, and despite Perrin's roughness and flaws, she still loved him.

There's not many characters I absolutely loathe. I dislike Tuon, because of her Seanchan views about women that can channel. 

However the most hated list goes to:

Graendal and Aran'gar: I find them extremely perverted, disgusting, immoral, concieted, and just revolting. Out of the forsaken, I hate them with a passion.

Elaida: She was behind the white tower's collaspe and tried to exterminate the blue ajah (one of my favorite ajahs).

Taim: He betrayed Rand and helped Turn good men to the shadow.

I love Nynaeve! She is brave, strong, courageous. She is unafraid to say how she feels. The relationship she has with Lan is just fantastic. Faile is extraordinary as well. How could you hate her? She was never afraid to fight for what she loved, and despite Perrin's roughness and flaws, she still loved him.

WOW! 

I thought that I was the ONLY one with these views. My two very favorite characters.   (high five) highfive.gif

And to add to your Faile point, I love this quote about her from the Dragon Reborn:

"Perrin, and Faile. A fierce woman, falcon by name and nature. Had she really attached herself to Colavaere just to gather evidence? She would try to protect Perrin if the Dragon Reborn fell. Protect him from the Dragon Reborn, should she decide it necessary; her loyalties were to Perrin, but she would decide for herself how to meet them. Faile was no woman to do meekly as her husband told her, if such a woman existed."

You certainly can't say the same thing about the Tuon/Matt relationship.

I hated different characters at different points but most had redemption at some point. Mat and Nynaeve probably the most. Mat became my favorite character. 

The person who draws so much venom that I cannot understand is Egwene. There were certainly parts where she was a pain in the ass to Rand for really no reason but the same can be said about nearly every female character in the book. The other funny thing is most of the people who hate Egwene the most seem to love Nynaeve who as a character has a lot of the same flaws. Next to Rand nobody went through more personal trial and torture than Egwene. She was trained and beaten by the Aiel, collared by the Seanchan, captured and beaten by the reds. So when she pushed others I really didn't have an issue with it because she seemed to live by the mantra never ask another to do that which you would not. Finally anybody who sacrifices as she did at the last battle for the overall good to take Tiem and the Sharen channelers out to save others. 

Rather than a specific character the part of the book I hated the most was when Nynaeve and Elayne are traveling with Valan Luca. It seemed to last forever with no real purpose. The part with Mat was actually great with the interaction of Tuon and Joline driving him nuts.   

The person who draws so much venom that I cannot understand is Egwene.

She's a hypocrite. She takes advantage of everybody. Plus she thinks she is the center of the universe. (Of course, this changes in later books but really hard to love her because of this attitude.)

And many people will not forget what she did to Nyn.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, I hated Egwene the most. She she had some satisfying moments, such as her death, I could have done without her entire character. I didn't care for Nyneave until she rescued Egwene from the Seanchan and left the damane collared and told Egwene that was justice.

I read a lot of people who don't like Cadsuane, but for me she is everything an Aes Sedai should be. She's powerful, unafraid to stand up to Rand, accomplishes her goals, and has an aura of mystery and unpredictability around her that makes others give pause. I loved her from the moment she appeared in Rand's throne room......(I thought you were dead!!!) Yeah, she's one of my faves for sure.

It was never the characters that I hated it was more what they were doing that I hated. I liked Perin and Faile, but her captivity dragged on for books, and was relatively uninteresting so I hated that. I also disliked the girls and the carnival segment because that also seemed like a pointless event.

Edited by Occams whiskey bottle

like another poster, never "hated" characters.

the characters that seemed to enjoy torturing others were the main ones I disliked.

to bigdoug::

a least some of the things you told about Cadsuane could apply to also Egwene.

Egwene is also powerful; at least in the One Power.

Egwene has stood up to Rand several times.

Egwene seems to have also accomplish her goals.

some readers might interpret Egwene as mysterious/unpredictable.

• 2 months later...

I always liked Fain, he was a delight.

In terms of characters that I really hated, Egwene post FoH perhaps, I didn't enjoy her arc and really didn't care for her being Amyrilin. Admittedly, prior to reading New Spring I mentally retconned Siaun's age to be at least double as I found her ridiculously young to be an amyrlin.

I never much cared for Perrin truth be told. Faile and company were naturally even more disliked, perhaps because of that.

I evidently need to re-read the series, I can't recall the spellings any longer.

Edited by threadnecromancer

Androl & Bao;

They were unnecessary, downright interfering, with the story that RJ would have written.

I hate them, because to me they represent all that is wrong with what BS added to the Wheel of Time.

Much like Occams whiskey bottle, I hated reading about some of the situation that characters were in.

Tops on the list for me...

-  How many candles the Rebel AS had.

-  The various stories about the Dark One's touch on the world, like grain going bad.

-  I didn't mind Faile's point of view on her captivity, but Perrin's point of view was boring.

-  Elayne's ascension to the throne

-  Morgase keeping her identity hidden

• 3 months later...

I'm a little over 200 pages into book 6. Pretty much up until the end of book 5, I definitely hated Nyneave. The whole Nyn-Elayne-Thom-Juilin dynamic was just downright annoying. Some of the interactions between this group were so bad, I would actually stop reading for weeks at a time. It wasn't until after her little cat fight with Siuan and her encounter with Moghedian that she started making an effort to change. I still dislike her, but at least I feel like I'm finally seeing some development taking place.

Edited by Pr0fess0rSasquatch