DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Best Place in the World to be a Writer is................

Ryrin

Norway.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/117337/norway-best-place-world-be-writer

The U.N. Human Development Index, a measure of standard of living, pegs Norway at number one.  (2014)

All public universities are essentially free to attend.

The adult literacy rate in Norway is 100%.

With the combination of oil wealth and a robust Scandinavian state, government funding of culture is substantial.  All published material in Norway is required by law to be deposited in the the National Library, and the library is currently digitizing everything in its collection. Everyone in the country will be able to view the material free online; for books under copyright, the patron will be able to access the text but not download it.

So long as a new Norwegian book passes quality control, Arts Council Norway purchases 1,000 copies of it to distribute to libraries—or 1,550 copies if it’s a children’s book. (This comes on top of the libraries’ acquisition budgets.) The purchasing scheme, I was told, keeps alive many small publishers that could not otherwise exist. American independent presses would drool at the prospect. Another effect of the scheme is that it subsidizes writers as they build a career. They make royalties on those 1,000 copies—in fact, at a better royalty rate than the contractual standard. Books are also exempted from Norway’s value-added tax.

By business agreement, deep discounting of new books is essentially banned, as is the case in a number of European countries. This protects booksellers from the likes of Amazon, and it also means that the profits from blockbuster titles, which would otherwise be the most heavily discounted, subsidize all other books to an even greater degree.

The leading bookstore chains in Norway are owned by the major publishing companies. 

Along with the purchasing scheme, the country lends significant support to writers and other artists directly. Renowned artists receive aguaranteed income, generally until retirement, and others are eligible for one- to five-year work grants. 

What do you think would make a country hospitable to writers?

Norway sounds wonderful!

1 of the first things I can think of, is more help with getting your book published. From the editing process to submitting it. These things seem so extremely complicated, and publishers act like a bunch of bullies from my experience!

Well finding an editor firstly proved to be nigh on impossible, which is why I ended up editing my sister's book myself.

Here in South Africa we don't have agents, so we have to submit to publishers directly. We researched overseas agents too, though, and their process is mostly similar. The minor details change, though, like 1 would want manuscripts in Arial Font, and another will toss it out if you use Arial, they only accept Times Roman. 1 would demand the first 3 chapters, another would want the 1st chapter then 2 other random ones. 1 would want 1 inch margins, and another 1 + 1/8 inch. Etc Etc Etc. The general theme, though, is if you don't submit something 100% exactly as they demand, your manuscript will be tossed and you'll never ever ever get another chance with them. Trying to keep straight who wants what how when and where, is just an absolute nightmare. Oh and don't get me started on the 1 who insists that you PRINT the WHOLE manuscript, in size 12 Arial DOUBLE SPACING, 1 inch borders, and then frigging POST it to them! When we live 15 minutes drive from their office!

Archived