DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand sends Perrin to Masema?!?!

meta1234

Hey guys, I am back with another question about something Rand did that makes literally no sense to me. 

The other points I asked about in my other thread the people here gave some great answers for, changing my mind completely on a couple of things and at least making me realise my thoughts on the others weren't as clear cut to other people... So here goes...

Rand knows that Masema is completely insane, causing absolute havoc and destruction because people aren't faithful enough to the Light given flesh and whatnot. 

Clearly the only person in the world who can actually control Masema is himself, but fortunately for him this control would be absolute, Masema is crazy enough to stick a knife in himself if Rand told him to and Rand knows this.

Rand can Travel, meaning that the excuse of having to go a long distance and this taking lots of time can't be used. He can probably finish this trip within a couple of days if he goes by himself, or maybe a couple of Asha'man bodyguards if needed, but he is going into safe territory anyway. Also, even if he thought they might turn on him, no one there can channel and he could easily protect himself and just Travel away if necessary.

So, knowing all this Rand thinks it will be a good idea to send Perrin off to reason with him rather than maybe spend a day or two doing it himself?

Am I missing something here? This seems like the stupidest decision ever, to the extent where I reckon even RJ knew it was dumb but just did it for the sake of enabling a new plot line.

Also I know he sets Perrin the task of speaking to Alliandre on the way, but Perrin could have done that by himself while Rand went off to deal with Masema, so that really doesn't explain anything.

Rand had no idea how crazy Masema was, after all he hadn't met him since Book 2.  There were rumors but he had no way of knowing just what a lunatic he had become.  Even Perin was shocked at the state Masema was in.  Also I don't he didn't know exactly where Masema was so he could of traveled to the general area but still have to locate him.  He could of  spent a week just trying to find Masema.   Rand would of had to find the time to go down there, hunt for Masema, and then spending time talking to him.  That area was hardly safe territory it was in total chaos. You had whitecloaks, seanchean, Masema, Shaido, and bandits all running about near there.  But mostly, like not running to the black tower, Rand simply didn't have the time to go running off to locate Masema.

Edited by Sabio

Rand kept tying to give Perrin various assignments to take care of for him(same as Mat with the Salidar Aes Sedai); leading his armies down in Tear(LoC), and then leading them down in Illian against Sammael(aCoS). However, Perrin kept on refusing them, telling Rand that he was no general. Rand obviously has a lot on his plate to take care of, and since Perrin was unwilling to lead Rand's armies at this point, he gave him another task(s) that he needed completion on; he was killing two birds with one stone here by using Perrin; Alliandre/Masema issues.

Plus, also keep in mind, that both Berelain and Faile's lives were in immediate danger in Cairhien by Colavaere's supporters for their help in deposing her. So he had to get them both out of Dodge as well.

And if you remember Moiraine's words of wisdom from earlier in the books about: how the Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, thus creating the pattern for these very important characters lives, you will see later on in the story just how Perrin's new story line, and how it turns out fits this example perfectly for his character.  And this last bit is the most important part of your answer as you will eventually find out.

Edited by Cosmic Champion

Rand's exact instructions seem uncertain.  that scene seemed to be off screen.

Ghealdan and Masema seem to be the main reasons for the trip.

If I remember correctly, Rand conquered Illian and sought Sammael's followers within that time.  both seemed to be needed to be done. maybe also fight the Seanchan.

Am I missing something here? This seems like the stupidest decision ever, to the extent where I reckon even RJ knew it was dumb but just did it for the sake of enabling a new plot line.

There is your explanation. You see the picture clearly.There are deep structural problems* in the series, the biggest of them is Perrin. His character is slightly useful in the first three books, but he is totally unnecessary in later volumes. So Jordan had two options:

1.  he could kill him in TSR

2. or give him meaningless subplots

Plus, he was a popular character and the whole "wolf thing" was fancied back then. (There is a subgenre dedicated to this phenomenon.) He had to make a quick decision (I don't believe that the thought (killing Perrin) arised in RJ even for a second) , and guess what, Perrin gets new adventures.

*the series is too long, too many characters, there is no story to tell after book six (that's why Rand, Nyn and others go MIA),  the arcs are too short, introducing

Tuon

too late etc. etc.

If I remember correctly, Rand conquered Illian and sought Sammael's followers within that time.  both seemed to be needed to be done. maybe also fight the Seanchan.

You also have to remember that he seems to want to use Perrin as soon as he arrives back from the Two Rivers.  This was also not just to make use of him for his plans, but to keep Perrin and Matt away from him.  One he sends to deal with the trouble Masema is causing in otherwise safe and peaceful Ghealdan, the other is to send Matt to fetch back the girls.  Remember, Rand not only shifts and bends the Pattern around him, but is manipulated by it as well.  In TDR, he sits and waits for something to happen, then when the Trollocs come he begins using the prophesy of the Dragon as a checklist starting with the Stone of Tear, which is why Moiraine was angry for him delving into the Prophesy further once in Tear.  Without sending Matt and Perrin away, Wow, almost gave a lot away here!  And when he sends Perrin to deal with Masema...again, wow, almost gave a bunch of spoilers away!  Things will become clearer the further in you read.  

One day you will look back and realize that RJ had almost everything not only well planned out, but highly interwoven with tons of foreshadowing of things to come even as far back as book one, subtle comments and small happenings that you just accept and take in until a few books later your memory gives a tickle and you are like...wait, what? Followed by delving back into past books trying to find that mention or hint and then you smile and chuckle to yourself and keep on reading. 

• 2 years later...

The idea that Rand could have no idea that Masema is mad or plain just a sociopath going around causing 10 times more bad then good in his name is absurd. This whole part of the series is BS tbh..

Then there are the absurd nonsense parts of the Faile+Perrin+Shido+Gallina story line that would turn the stomach of anyone who does not actively suppress their own brain functions..

The worst part is how all of a sudden Perrin's magical "nose" powers do not work at all while he questions Gallina which is patently absurd. Nearly everything she says is a lie. The parts where she promises things about Faiel, well one would think Perrin would be super concentrated on making sure about her responses.. The whole thing just disgusts me no end. 

I kept wanting to put a lengthy split bamboo stick to the bare soles of... While suffering thru them..

Edited by Monetherian

That was the point Perrin was suppose to regin in Masema, no one had any idea he was so far gone.  Even Perrin was shocked to see the state Masema was in.  All Rand has coming to him was stories and rumors so there was no way for anyone to know how bad he had gotten, Nyn wasn't with Rand at the time he sent Perrin off so she was the only one who knew what Masema was like.  Also we now know at least part of the time he was being manipulated by a forsaken.

It was also important for Rand to send everyone away from him because he worried his friends would all be killed being too close to him.  There was the off-screen ploy of Perrin and Rand fighting which Perrin reflects on of the mock falling out with one another which Rand hoped would protect Perrin.  When Perrin arrives back in Rand's presence after the Two Rivers battles, Rand immediately begin talking about what he needs Perrin to do which prompts the comments on Perrin not being a general.  Rand wanted to keep everyone away from him but was weak and gave in allowing Min to remain at his side more than he would have liked, and later Nynaeve during the dark times.

Hey guys, I am back with another question about something Rand did that makes literally no sense to me. 

The other points I asked about in my other thread the people here gave some great answers for, changing my mind completely on a couple of things and at least making me realise my thoughts on the others weren't as clear cut to other people... So here goes...

Rand knows that Masema is completely insane, causing absolute havoc and destruction because people aren't faithful enough to the Light given flesh and whatnot. 

Clearly the only person in the world who can actually control Masema is himself, but fortunately for him this control would be absolute, Masema is crazy enough to stick a knife in himself if Rand told him to and Rand knows this.

Rand can Travel, meaning that the excuse of having to go a long distance and this taking lots of time can't be used. He can probably finish this trip within a couple of days if he goes by himself, or maybe a couple of Asha'man bodyguards if needed, but he is going into safe territory anyway. Also, even if he thought they might turn on him, no one there can channel and he could easily protect himself and just Travel away if necessary.

So, knowing all this Rand thinks it will be a good idea to send Perrin off to reason with him rather than maybe spend a day or two doing it himself?

Also I know he sets Perrin the task of speaking to Alliandre on the way, but Perrin could have done that by himself while Rand went off to deal with Masema, so that really doesn't explain anything.

This is another example of what I like to call "the narrator syndrome".

You see, Rand *doesn't* know Masema is completely insane. He left the Shienarans at the beginning of Book 3, and at that time, Masema was just a typical soldier, if a bit more awe-struck by the Dragon Reborn than the others. Even so, Rand was too absorbed in his own thoughts to even notice Masema's behavior. Later on, as Perrin and Moiraine hears about someone preaching the Dragon Reborn, even Moiraine did not immediately connect it to Masema.

The only reason *we*, the reader, knows Masema is insane is because we read about Nynaeve's encounter with him, and Nynaeve never shared this with Rand or Perrin.

So Rand has no idea what Masema *or* the Dragonsworn were like. He only knows that they are people who are fighting in his name and need to be taken in hand. He sent Perrin to do it because he could not spare the time to do it himself, and Perrin was the only one available that he trusted.