DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Manslaughter?

Ryrin

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2015/08/31/its-now-or-never-texts-reveal-teens-efforts-to-pressure-boyfriend-into-suicide/?tid=pm_national_pop_b

"According to prosecutors, Carter pressured her boyfriend to go through with suicide for almost a week before he carried out the act. She counseled him to overcome his fears; researched methods of committing suicide painlessly; and lied to police, his family and her friends about his whereabouts during the act itself and after, prosecutors said."

I was so shocked when I read about her actions. I just don't see how they can convict her from a legal standpoint but this girl is a menace to humanity and should be put away somewhere forever.

Can you imagine the horror for the parents?

In some states I do believe it is law that you can be convicted if you tell someone to 'do me a favor and go kill yourself' in a heated argument or whatever circumstance and then that person follows through and does off themselves. you are considered partially responsible for that person to take their own life. In this case it's pretty frickin clear she was LARGELY responsible for this boy's death. If i were the parent of the boy you'd have to watch me very closely. I WILL go to jail if you lay a hand on my son. That's a damn promise. 

Good to hear, Mills.

Same here.  I would be hard pressed not to hire a hit man.  It was clear he was having second thoughts while contemplating suicide and rather than offer support or tell an adult  she encouraged him to complete the act and then set herself up as a peer helper and mental health supporter.

“Like, honestly I could have stopped it,” Carter texted Samantha months later. “I was on the phone with him and he got out of the car” because the carbon monoxide was working, she said. She added that she “told him to get back in.”

After his death, Carter became a self-proclaimed advocate for mental health. She organized a fundraising tournament in Roy’s memory and posted on Facebook and Twitter about her attempts to save her boyfriend’s life.  “Even though I could not save my boyfriend’s life, I want to put myself out here to try to save as many other lives as possible,” she wrote on Facebook.

She had to have had mental problems to begin with. Her parents were more than likely so engrossed in their own lives to see what was going on with their own daughter.

I second Mills. A girl did that to my son I would go to jail.

I think a few people should "encourage" her to jump off a bridge.

Where the hell are her parents, though? How do you raise a child to be like that?

Apparently, the girl's mother has the same "condition."

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3102466/Teen-faces-20-years-bars-encouraging-friend-kill-goes-Disney-World-prom-ahead-manslaughter-trial.html

The court ordered Carter not to use social media but her mom has been updating her social media pages with photos of her trips with friends.

Michelle Carter's mother, Gail Carter, has been posting images to her daughter's social media pages showing her on trips and hanging out with friends - activities her alleged victim, 18-year-old Conrad Roy III, will never get to do, his aunt has said.

'We will never see him enjoy these milestones,' Becki Maki told the Boston Herald.

'To see her awaiting her manslaughter trial on a trip to Disney World with her friends, going to school competitions and going off to prom - it just seems like she doesn't understand the gravity of the actions that have led to the case against her.

To add: if she were mine, she would be residing right at this moment in a secure psychiatric hospital.

What about her friend's parents? I wouldn't let my sons near her. This keeps getting more strange. Some mother let her son take her to prom. Ugh.

I can accept medically-assisted suicide within a professional context. Self-termination is a serious deal and anyone who desires to end their life as a result of a medical condition should be treated with the utmost respect. Ideally, end-of-life counseling should be reseserved as the final option when all other avenues have been exhausted. By that, I mean medical professionals would be able to provide information about method and procedure and it would be performed in conjunction with psychiatric counseling. The medical community must be able to ensure that the patient has made their decision in a healthy and rational state of mind.

But this? This is monstrous. A human life is never to be so lightly condemned and that's exactly what she did. She condemned his existence by insisting and demanding he end it. How dare she hurt someone so deeply, how dare she suggest his life is so worthless.

I still can't fully comprehend the depravity of her actions.

Well, the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. This girl is legally prohibited by the court from using social media.

So, what does her mother do? Posts fun pics of the girl ON the girl's social media account. Disney, prom, trips with friends. IMO, both are monstrous.

I was so shocked when I read about her actions. I just don't see how they can convict her from a legal standpoint but this girl is a menace to humanity and should be put away somewhere forever.

Can you imagine the horror for the parents?

In many jurisdictions it is a crime to assist others, directly or indirectly, in taking their own lives. In some jurisdictions, it is also illegal to encourage them to do so. Sometimes an exception applies for physician assisted suicide (PAS), under strict conditions.

Her statements indicate she was fully aware her actions could and likely would lead to incarceration, so I'm not seeing a problem with a conviction.

Archived