DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How do I use a Mac?

It's hard to give pointers when I don't know exactly what you are after XD

But here's some general tips.

The command button on a mac, does the things a ctrl button on windows do. The command button is the ones next to the spacebar, they say cmd and have a little weird square on them.

Press "alt" to find hidden symbols on the keyboard; [ for example is alt+8 and ] is alt+9. Several buttons have hidden signals.

You'll rarely see a "settings" menu on the top toolbar when within a program. Everything you are used to finding in a settings-menu, will usually be found under the name of the program. I am in firefox now, and when I click on Firefox in the top toolbar, I get the options About Firefox, Settings, Services, hide Firefox, Hide others, Show everyone, Quit Firefox. Whenever you are looking for settings for a program, click at the name on top to check there first.

The Apple-icon on that same toolbar is where you'll find all sorts of settings for the Mac.

Right-clicking on an icon in the dock (the place where you see your program icons, either at the bottom of the screen or the top) will show options for that program. You can remove them from the dock (this will not delete the program, only the shortcut in the dock), make the program auto-open when you turn on the computer, close the program and other things. On my spotify icon I can pause or skip to the next song i.e.

If you minimize a program or window, you'll find it on the far right side of the dock, if the dock is at the bottom of the screen. You can change the position and size of your dock by clicking on the apple-symbol like I said earlier.

Ok that's what came to mind right now XD

It's hard to give pointers when I don't know exactly what you are after XD

But here's some general tips.

The command button on a mac, does the things a ctrl button on windows do. The command button is the ones next to the spacebar, they say cmd and have a little weird square on them.

Press "alt" to find hidden symbols on the keyboard; [ for example is alt+8 and ] is alt+9. Several buttons have hidden signals.

You'll rarely see a "settings" menu on the top toolbar when within a program. Everything you are used to finding in a settings-menu, will usually be found under the name of the program. I am in firefox now, and when I click on Firefox in the top toolbar, I get the options About Firefox, Settings, Services, hide Firefox, Hide others, Show everyone, Quit Firefox. Whenever you are looking for settings for a program, click at the name on top to check there first.

The Apple-icon on that same toolbar is where you'll find all sorts of settings for the Mac.

Right-clicking on an icon in the dock (the place where you see your program icons, either at the bottom of the screen or the top) will show options for that program. You can remove them from the dock (this will not delete the program, only the shortcut in the dock), make the program auto-open when you turn on the computer, close the program and other things. On my spotify icon I can pause or skip to the next song i.e.

If you minimize a program or window, you'll find it on the far right side of the dock, if the dock is at the bottom of the screen. You can change the position and size of your dock by clicking on the apple-symbol like I said earlier.

Ok that's what came to mind right now XD

Exactly what I needed to know!  I'm still blundering through figuring things out on my own, but info like this helps a lot.

• 2 weeks later...

I always feel less than competent, because I switch between three different OS during a typical work day. Four if you count iOS on my phone and iPad. My personal laptop is a Macbook, my work computer is a PC and my students use Chromebooks. I felt super dumb the other day when one of my students showed me how to do a two finger click on the Chromebook. Misheru has the basics of the Mac down though. 

Archived