DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones Season 5 - BOOK SPOILERS!

Niniel

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just saw it and I´m just really upset and I´m almost crying. What a horrible, horrible scene. I knew that there were going to be a scene hard to watch in this episode so I was kind of prepared but still it´s just horrible. I´ll write more later. 

Now I have calmed down. :)

Winterfell - I really don´t know why they had to have the sex scene. Isn´t Sansa supposed to be a strong woman now? Not yet again a victim? But let´s pretend that the scene has a meaning for the rest of the season. It was very well done, all of the Winterfell scenes were. The looks during the wedding. Walda looking frightened from the side. Theons look, Myranda... And the godswood is beautiful. Theon´s face when Ramsay ordered him to stay in the bedroom... I know that Lena will get all nominations this year because of the walk of shame, but Alfie is worth every prize there is. He plays amazing.

Dorne - it´s aweful. I don´t see Ellaria and three sandsnakes. I see four women pretending to be them. And they are doing it bad. Didn´t like the fighting scene either. Doran and Areo is good though. Too bad we didn´t see more of Doran. And why on earth did Ellaria get the Unbent... speach?! Grrr... And one of my favourites are soon gone. RIP Bronn.

Tyrion/Jorah - good scenes. They are great together. 

Arya - I had hoped for something more. She has had too little screen time for my liking. The chamber with the faces was really cool. Hope to see her more in the next episodes.

Kingslanding - it´s a little bit funny that Loras was arrested for being gay since that isn´t actually against the law. At least not in the books. But there were some great scenes with Cersei, Olenna, Margery, Loras, Tommen and Hight Sparrow. Poor Tommen. And poor Cersei that thinks she can outsmart everyone. She will soon see...

i'm getting very close to not watching this show anymore.  a lot of the changes they're making just aren't making sense.  we watched the episode last night, while my mom was in town.  she watched most of the series up to the middle of season 3ish but hasn't gotten a chance to watch the rest of it (my step dad doesn't care for the show, so she has to watch it when he's not home, and thats if she remembers lol )

but we've filled her in on what has happened and she doesn't care about spoilers.  she also hasn't read the books.

can't say i'm thrilled this is the episode she watched with us <_<  overall this is about the worst episode in the entire series imo

Arya - they're speeding up her training and its becoming blotchy and jumpy.  theres supposed to be a natural progression and the show just doesn't have that.  they've also done a piss poor job at explaining whats going on.  however, aside from the poor plot explanation, i liked the vault and how they designed it. the game of lies is a nice inclusion, but like i said they need to do a better job at explaining whats going on for people that dont read the books imo

Tyrion - this was the one shinning light of the episode. the changes made here are good, its nice to see Jorah and Tyrion working together, all be it grudgingly.   i hope that they bring in Penny and her brother.  the comment about dwarfs and what bits of them aren't worthless and how Tyrion gets his bacon out of the fire, temporarily, was great.  i love to see that character thinking fast on his feet.

Kingslanding - this is progressing very nicely.  i fear that Cersie wont do her walk of shame, which is a complete shame but not something that would completely blind side me if they left out, given that HBO has made  point of going out of their way to make her character more sympathetic.  her selling out the Tyrells was wonderful, and i'm curious as to where the show will go since they pulled the grandmother back into the frey.  poor tomon xD  his look of utter bewilderment was adorable and reminds you that regardless of how old he looks on screen, his character is just a 7 year old.

Littlefinger still maintains being the most interesting character of the series.  his selling out Sansa doesn't make sense, given his affections for her (or at least his mis-placed lust for her) so i can only assume that he plans cross Cersie once he has the North firmly under his control and has killed off the Bolton scum.

Dorne - overall i think the scene was well enough.  i agree that the actresses aren't doing a good enough portrayal of the Sand Snakes.  i absolutely DETEST that Jamie is there, that change makes absolutely no sense what so ever.

and lastly

Winterfell - Sansa's interaction with the kennel girl was nice, i'm glad to see her have a bit of back bone.  the wedding scene was nice as well, as was the inclusion of the gods wood and the trees, given their importance and HBO's over all lack of showing them.  i think it would have had more effect if Bran was in place at this point and could have witnessed what was going on.  Reeks interaction with Ramsey was on par, and the reaction to the wedding night is much what i imagined it went like in the books with Jenye Poole.  so at least Reeks character, on appearances, is right on track development wise

but this is where my compliments of the scene leave off.

the wedding night scene was one of the single most stupid and asinine alterations to the story line that HBO has had the misfortune and misjudgement to make.  there is literally no point to this alteration!  the only thing it accomplishes is makes Sansa a victim again, undoing all the work they've done to build her up as a strong and independent woman.

why they would make this change when it serves no plot point is flumoxing.  i had hoped to hear Stannis's horns before Ramsey was able to follow through with his intentions, but i'm glad i didn't hold my breath on that <_<

That would make no sense imo.  Arya is the killer.  Sansa is the schemer.  I'm reserving judgment on the Ramsay/Sansa thing until I see how Sansa handles it.  I'm hoping that neither you nor Red are right because it would be very easy to ruin Sansa's character here.  From what we've seen so far, I think Sansa will probably escape from the Boltons, and Theon, Brienne, and Pod will probably both be involved somehow.  But Sansa needs to play an active and vital role in her own escape.  She can't just hang a lantern and then twiddle her thumbs because that would ruin her character imo.

• Community Administrator

Apparently there is a whole thing right now about people being up in arms over the Sansa scene. 

I basically sum it up like this.

"All the rape in this series was okay. But they touched Sansa. And that's not okay."

Even the actress playing her is defending the scene! Maybe this just goes to show how much more of an impact NOT showing something and implying what happens off screen  is worse then actually showing it! (IE: the rape. Showing it apparently is better for people's conscious then it is to have them think about whats going on, implied by the sounds in the background.)

There's a whole thing about rape is not entertainment hitting the news & social media. But I really do think they are missing the point. (If there was one?) I don't believe that scene was meant to be entertainment. It was meant to be uncomfortable.. It is meant to make you hate the Bolton's with a passion. We hated Joffrey with a Passion. We also hated his grandfather. They needed someone to step up to the hate-plate. And that is Ramsey. (I want to say he wins the battle against Stannis? I can't recall... but if he does. that just makes that hate for that character grow more.)

I hope they don't make Sansa into Stoneheart. That would be stupid.

I'm still waiting for the hanging scene, as we still don't know if she lives or dies... (I think?)

This far into the season, we still haven't seen Bran right? I don't know if that means they wrote him to far into a corner right now.. Or just how screwed up the time line Martin got his books...

Methinks they are angling for Sansa to take the role of Lady Stoneheart.

i hope not.  Stoneheart's character doesn't fit well with Sansa, so the transition into that sort of character just isn't kosher.    not to mention it would be hard to get her into Lady Stone heart, given no one in winterfell has that capability

That would make no sense imo.  Arya is the killer.  Sansa is the schemer.  I'm reserving judgment on the Ramsay/Sansa thing until I see how Sansa handles it.  I'm hoping that neither you nor Red are right because it would be very easy to ruin Sansa's character here.  From what we've seen so far, I think Sansa will probably escape from the Boltons, and Theon, Brienne, and Pod will probably both be involved somehow.  But Sansa needs to play an active and vital role in her own escape.  She can't just hang a lantern and then twiddle her thumbs because that would ruin her character imo.

imo, the underlined is EXACTLY how her character would handle the situation, at least book wise.  because thats all the little bird does

Sansa is less of a schemer and more of a permanent damsel in distress.  its the main reason i hate her story arc, she just refuses to grow as a character and learn from her past events.

Apparently there is a whole thing right now about people being up in arms over the Sansa scene. 

I basically sum it up like this.

"All the rape in this series was okay. But they touched Sansa. And that's not okay."

Even the actress playing her is defending the scene! Maybe this just goes to show how much more of an impact NOT showing something and implying what happens off screen  is worse then actually showing it! (IE: the rape. Showing it apparently is better for people's conscious then it is to have them think about whats going on, implied by the sounds in the background.)

There's a whole thing about rape is not entertainment hitting the news & social media. But I really do think they are missing the point. (If there was one?) I don't believe that scene was meant to be entertainment. It was meant to be uncomfortable.. It is meant to make you hate the Bolton's with a passion. We hated Joffrey with a Passion. We also hated his grandfather. They needed someone to step up to the hate-plate. And that is Ramsey. (I want to say he wins the battle against Stannis? I can't recall... but if he does. that just makes that hate for that character grow more.)

I hope they don't make Sansa into Stoneheart. That would be stupid.

I'm still waiting for the hanging scene, as we still don't know if she lives or dies... (I think?)

This far into the season, we still haven't seen Bran right? I don't know if that means they wrote him to far into a corner right now.. Or just how screwed up the time line Martin got his books...

people are always super defensive of the Starks, they react badly when anything bad happens to them.  i'm looking forward to seeing what the reaction will be to Jon Snow XD  so i think most of the "up in arms" about Sansa has less to do with what happened and more to do with the fact she's a Stark.

i'm glad the actress is defending the scene, even if i think it was in poor taste for her characters development.  she acted wonderfully in the scene, and reacted well for the circumstances.  as much as i proclaim my adoration for the little girl that plays Ayra, the girl that plays Sansa does equally well for being spot on to that character.

re - rape isnt entertainment ...  the media has no moral ground on this considering a show that has its entire plot revolving around rape and other sexual assaults is currently in double digits for its season (Law & Order: SVU).  rape may not be entertainment, or something to discuss off offhandedly as a plot point, but ratings show that audiences dont mind when a show exploits it.

i agree with you about the intention behind the scene, that its to cement Ramsey into the "hate you wish you were dead" role of the series.  but imo, his character was already there, just because of the things he's already done.  they best villain is often the less blunt "joffery" type.   that said, you bring out something that i hadn't noticed.  most of the most hated people in this series have interacted with Sansa and treated her poorly xD

in DwD, Stannis is just reaching Winterfell with the Boltons, his horns are blaring in the distance.  so that battle has yet to happen.  at that point, Asha is just escaping with Theon and Jeyne Poole after the second attempt at rescuing him from the Boltons; a rescue attempt that is motivated by her treatment of her uncle in the Kingsmoot and Asha's subsequent exile.  they used the chaos created by the advancing army as cover to escape.

also in DwD, Bernie is alive and well, thought internally shes very conflicted.  Poddrick is killed, but Bernie is released from the noose and Stoneheart makes her swear to go kill Jamie; whose laying siege to the Tullys.

I don't think they'd kill Sansa and have her resurrected - I'm saying they could have this last scene be the "breaking point" for Sansa, and she goes mental and starts trying to massacre everybody who has wronged her or her family.  She could take the "role" of Lady Stoneheart, but not necessarily have to go through the same transformation.  Hard to deny that her rape could easily flip that internal switch inside her that makes her go from always the victim........to the maniacal killer.

Just a theory I had heard about.  I personally hope the answer lies in the middle.  I want Catelyn back as LS, but I do want Sansa to go off the deep end a little and start fighting back.

*nods*  thats actually a practical theory and i hadn't thought of that angle ...

interesting ....  dunno if i'd like it ...  but interesting.

if they did that, at what point do you think the audience would go from rooting for Sansa to saying "omg she needs to be euthanized before she burns down the entire world"

I watched Elio and Linda's video review and I agree with them. We'll see what this lead to. For me, the important part is that Sansa gets stronger and Theon gets hus redemption. It's hard for me to see that we will get both this way but there are still four more episodes.

I think Sansa is growing in the book.

I don't like Lady Stoneheart so I won't get sad if they skip her. People murdering Freys are always welcome though. :D I can't believe that there won't be any Frey pies!

SD - They have not filmed Bran for this season. Maybe we will here his voice if we get the scene with Theon in the gods wood.

*nods*  thats actually a practical theory and i hadn't thought of that angle ...

interesting ....  dunno if i'd like it ...  but interesting.

if they did that, at what point do you think the audience would go from rooting for Sansa to saying "omg she needs to be euthanized before she burns down the entire world"

Probably never.  She could kill every last person remotely responsible for the atrocities committed against her family, and the vast majority of fans will be rooting her on the whole time.  I've always thought her character had the most potential if they decided to "flip that switch".  I'm really hoping last week's episode does that.  I think Sophie Turner would make an awesome psychopath.

Episode 7

The best episode so far. Again, I didn´t care much for Dorne. Why poison Bronn, show herself nude and then give him an antidote? Meh. The only thing good about Dorne so far is Doran and he has gotten like 10 seconds in front of the camera.

But....

The rest was great. 

The Wall: Maester Aemon. :(  Sad, sad moment.   "Egg, I dreamed that I was old." I´m so happy they kept that line. The scenes with Sam and Gilly were good and yay for seeing Ghost again. (But he should have gone with Jon. Seriously, why has he been left at the Wall?)

Kingslanding: So many great scenes.

Olenna vs. High Sparrow. For once she didn´t manage to get her will.

Cersei and Tommen - poor Tommen. And now he is left all alone.

Littlefinger and Olenna - interesting...

Cersei vs. High Sparrow - yes! Finally! 

Winterfell: Again, great acting, although I feel for Sansa. But I sense something good will come out of this. 

Stannis: What we all know would happen. :( Stannis, don´t let them burn her!!!

Mereen: The wedding is not very logical in this version and the scene with Daario felt a bit weird. But finally - the meeting we have all been waiting for!!! It will be great to see Tyrion and Dany together. 

It was a bit strange that an episode named "The Gift" didn´t inlcude Arya. Maybe they changed place on a few scenes? 

Episode 8

Wow! Just wow! I usually don´t like long battle scenes and I´m not very fond of zombies ... but Wow!

North of the Wall:

We got to see the Night King! He was really creepy. Yay for Valyrian Steel! 

Wun Wun! Way to go!

The wilding leader was great. It was horrible to see her wake up with those blue eyes. (Btw. the wilding elders aren´t very old.)

I was waiting to see if Benjen would show up but no. Maybe he never will?

Winterfell:

Sansa is cool. Reek finally told her that her brothers are alive. I really hope we get the scene in the Godswood next week.

Ramsay is going to kill Stannis with 20 men? Hm... It has kind of been forshadowed that Brienne would kill him in the series. Please, let Ramsay end up in the fire.

Braavos:

Great to see Arya as "Cat of the Canals" even though that was not her name. I really like her scenes. Just wish we had more of them.

King´s Landing:

That scene were Cersei licked the floor.... Lena is playing so good.

Meereen:

I have longed for Tyrion to meet Dany in the books and now at least I get to see it in the series. I liked their conversations about their fathers. I don´t really like Dany´s cold style but their conversation was good. 

Poor Jorah. He will of course do something heroic in the last episode. (And die?)

Archived