JenniferL

In The Beginning: "The Eye of the World"

Later books have several returns to Edmond's Field.  All of those at different times.

By the way, later-book content is disallowed for these book-specific threads.

edited to add spoiler tags

Edited by BFG

I started reading tEotW thanks to a work collegue. She worked in the bookshop my boss owned. I worked in his other venture. I asked her to pick me out a few fantasy books to read. The Eye of the World was one of them. I started it, and was hooked. I used to walk to work reading it, my head down greedily devouring the words. Later, years later I used to do the same thing, and the postmen used to comment on me walking to work while reading it. It's the one book, of the whole series that has really stuck with me, and left me with an lifetime of love for the series.

When i first began reading WOT, it was partly because one of my friends was reading it. I asked him if Rand will be pretty important later on... he said yes. :P

Guess I wasn't wrong.

Ryrin, I have to agree with you on that one. There were times when I would mutter aloud, "just TELL her!"

Thom Merrilin UK, I'm the same way. I'm in the middle of Book 7 now, and tEotW is still still one of my favorite books. There are other books, so far, that have better action and/or more shocking reveals, but tEotW is the first book in the series and it is so much different from what I was reading. So captivating. By default it is my favorite.

I started the series a little over a year and a half ago. One day in august my dad brought home tEofW, and said I should read it. He had started them about 15 years ago, but he got too busy to read and dropped it. One day he saw book1 in the library and decided to restart. the part that got me hooked was the Manetharen speech as well.

I already knew that I would probably get the next book in the series before I got to this part of the tEotW but what made it one of my favourite books ever was Thom against the Fade im Whitebridge. That actual scene as well as learning that Thom is more than just a random travelling performer just before really made me think 'wow, this book is something else'.

I have started reading Wheel of Time for the first time. I finished Eye of the World and have started the Great Hunt. Is this the correct place for tEoftW questions if I want spoiler-free answers?

Edited by DraconicImperator

I have started reading Wheel of Time for the first time. I finished Eye of the World and have started the Great Hunt. Is this the correct place for tEoftW questions if I want spoiler-free answers?

Yes, you should be able to ask questions without spoilers.

Three things confused me from Eye of the World.

Firstly the Eye itself was  the accumulated power of male Aes Sedai preserved from the Breaking, right? So how was the Dark One planning to use it to destroy everything? Its not like he lacks for power, and the seal was already broken.

Secondly, the Forsaken are supposed to be the most powerful followers of the Dark one, which is why they were locked away with him. In the prologue it's mentioned that they were powerful enough to face Lews Therin the Dragon in open battle. So how did Rand destroy one of the Forsaken? He could channel, he but he had no training, no experience. he was basically flailing around. 

Thirdly, Moiraine says pretty early on how her staff is a focus of concentration only, and objects don't have any power of their own. Then why is the Horn of Valere important? Does it have magical power of its own? 

Firstly the Eye itself was  the accumulated power of male Aes Sedai preserved from the Breaking, right? So how was the Dark One planning to use it to destroy everything? Its not like he lacks for power, and the seal was already broken.

Secondly, the Forsaken are supposed to be the most powerful followers of the Dark one, which is why they were locked away with him. In the prologue it's mentioned that they were powerful enough to face Lews Therin the Dragon in open battle. So how did Rand destroy one of the Forsaken? He could channel, he but he had no training, no experience. he was basically flailing around. 

Thirdly, Moiraine says pretty early on how her staff is a focus of concentration only, and objects don't have any power of their own. Then why is the Horn of Valere important? Does it have magical power of its own? 

It was essentially a well of power to be used however the user saw fit. Keep in mind that Ba'Alzamon (Forgive the spelling, I can't figure it out) lies. Always.

The following is sort of a spoiler, but it's not from any specific book. I'll put it in tags -anyway- in case you want to find out later:

The Forsaken are not all as powerful as each other, and not all of them are as powerful as Rand. Aginor, Demandred and Ishamael are the most powerful and match Rand blow for blow. Others like Balthamel and Asmodean are weaker.

That confrontation has always confused me though. Even with the Eye of the World I don't think Rand should have had much of a chance - But I guess he got lucky.

The horn seems to, yes. We don't ever really discover much about the horn and how it works - Just that it does.

1. Magicana is more or less correct. I think there are some other parts to it.  a) Bal'zamon made the Eye more threatening than it actually was to force Rand to fall into a trap. b) I believe a bit of it was also to prevent Rand from using it. The Shadow got pushed back quite a lot when he did. c) There are 7 Seals to the DO's prison, one was broken, the other 6 remain. The DO may have planned to destroy all of the remaining seals in one go with the Eye. 

2. The Forsaken are considered mythical to the people. Their tales are 3000 years worth of stories passed down. The Forsaken's power is exaggerated over time, and people don't think of them as humans, but almost demons. However, the Forsaken are very human, and prone to mistakes. Another big part of it is the Forsaken's arrogance. Like you said, they think themselves powerful enough to match the best of the Age of Legends. Rand was little more than a farmboy with no training, they thought they had it easy, so they didn't take it seriously. 

However, Rand got extremely lucky even so. It is still hard to see how he won. It is not a satisfying answer, but most of it comes down to ta'veren and luck in the end. 

3. There is a difference I believe in what Moiraine was talking about. Moiraine was speaking of the One Power, not power in general. She meant that an ordinary object does not hold any of the One Power itself, and the staff was only used to focus, rather than holding any One Power. For example, angreal do not have power, they allow a person to hold more power than normal, it's only a device that helps out. 

The Horn of Valere does not hold and One Power, but it does have a power of it's own. As to what that power is, read on and you will hear more about the Horn. 

Also, it's worth noting that the characters are not always correct. Moiraine in particular says certain things which are not correct. It is only what the characters believe. So keep in mind that characters can be mistaken. Moiraine is correct more often than not, so it's not like everything she says in EotW is wrong, but there are certain things the characters say that are wrong. 

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

Ok, thanx so that clears up a lot of doubt...though I am still not sure about Rand's victory......anyway I have been rushing through the books, can't seem to stop at all. so I have finished the Great Hunt and now am reading the Dragon Reborn.

I found Great Hunt to be even better than the first book. The introduction of the Seanchan really added another dimension to the world and expanded its scope I think. i had to read the ending twice to make sure I got everything but some points were once again bothering me. 

1. The heroes summoned by the Horn are bound to the one who blew it. But they took orders from Rand and addressed Mat, who actually blew the Horn as 'Trumpeteer'! How??? 

2. What happened to the heroes after the battle? Did they vanish back into the fog? Will they come again if the Horn is blown again? 

3. This is the second book in a row where Rand apparently kills the Dark One. The Dark One was genuinely alarmed when Rand started taking swings at him, and the sword was melted, so it was a physical encounter. Its also obvious that the Dark One is not dead. So what was the point of that sequence?

4. How long did Rand train with Lan exactly? Its just that he defeated a Seanchan blademaster, and he only picked up a sword for the first time a few months before, so that must have been some training regimen...

I think thats all for now, but Dragon Reborn is turning it up even more. I am taking a great liking to the Nynaeve and Egwene sequences...

Ok, thanx so that clears up a lot of doubt...though I am still not sure about Rand's victory......anyway I have been rushing through the books, can't seem to stop at all. so I have finished the Great Hunt and now am reading the Dragon Reborn.

I found Great Hunt to be even better than the first book. The introduction of the Seanchan really added another dimension to the world and expanded its scope I think. i had to read the ending twice to make sure I got everything but some points were once again bothering me. 

1. The heroes summoned by the Horn are bound to the one who blew it. But they took orders from Rand and addressed Mat, who actually blew the Horn as 'Trumpeteer'! How??? 

2. What happened to the heroes after the battle? Did they vanish back into the fog? Will they come again if the Horn is blown again? 

3. This is the second book in a row where Rand apparently kills the Dark One. The Dark One was genuinely alarmed when Rand started taking swings at him, and the sword was melted, so it was a physical encounter. Its also obvious that the Dark One is not dead. So what was the point of that sequence?

4. How long did Rand train with Lan exactly? Its just that he defeated a Seanchan blademaster, and he only picked up a sword for the first time a few months before, so that must have been some training regimen...

I think thats all for now, but Dragon Reborn is turning it up even more. I am taking a great liking to the Nynaeve and Egwene sequences...

Yeah, Rand's victory is still doubtful even with all that. 

1. I won't go into it, but a lot of what is said about the Horn is not correct. 

2. They vanished like they appeared, and yes, they could be summoned again, although nobody knows how it works exactly. Suffice to say that it can't be used every single time something comes up, there are certain requirements needed for the Horn to be blown. 

3. Remember, the DO always lies. Don't trust anything the DO says or does. Even the bits of truth that are told are twisted. 

Don't worry, it will be explained when you read on. 

I can give you a more definitive answer, but it may be a spoiler depending on where you are up to.

The 'Dark One' that fought Rand in the first two books is not the Dark One. It is one of the Forsaken - Ishamael - using the Dream World, pretending to be the Dark One.

As for the 'point', there is definitely a reason why. It's not EXACTLY a spoiler, but it can be taken as one, so I'll be safe and put it in spoilers. 

1. From an in-story perspective, it is used to make Rand very, very scared. He thinks he has killed the Dark One twice already. Seeing the Dark One still alive and apparently invincible would be very hard to stomach. 

2. From a narrative perspective, it's much the same. To make the reader wonder if the Dark One can actually be defeated, and wonder how or even if- when it seemed like Rand finally defeated him - the Dark One can be defeated. A lot of the first two books with the Dark One is making it seem like the Dark One is invincible and knows everything.

4. A few months at least, practising regularly. There are also some other factors that helped Rand out. The Power helps him focus and gives him greater senses, also some other stuff that you will find later on. 

Edited by Barid Bel Medar

I just finished EotW yesterday.  Great read.  I started the Great Hunt today.  I really paid attention to the map when i opened this volume, having paid little attention to the map during the first book.  As I read the first book I imagined an emormous sprawling world, made a little smaller by the Ways, but still quite large, but looking at the map gives me the impression that this world is much smaller than it seemed. It seemed some walking, a little hitching and floating and they traversed the entire world over the course of one book.  Anyone else get that feeling?

I'm relistening to EotW for the umpteenth time and while I still love the book, I've found lots of unneeded material. Like all the bloody farmers and Els, did we really need her. Without all the extras, the book could've been shorter or put part of GH in it.

farmers; Two Rivers or the ones along the Caemlyn Road?  Els; Else Grinwell?

Each of them seem needed to me.

by the way, different readers might have different opinions about what is unneeded/needed.

The farmers along the road and yes Else Grinwell. I realize Bunt(only heard the name, so if I get it wong, that's why), needs to be there since he gives us info on Andor. Kynch isn't need; he could be one of the nameless farmers who gave them rides. Yes but those same people can't complain about Brandon but at the same time want every single word of RJs. Not saying you are one

After reading this book so many times, I've become more and more convinced that Jordan had no idea how to start it, and how to finish it. (The middle section is very good.)

Still a very special book for me.

Recommended this book to a fellow patient this morning, and when she asked me that "what's this series about", instead of telling her the standard answer(s), I told her that:

WOT is a great example that everybody needs another human beings (if they are lucky then we can talk about a family, friends, alliances, supporters, if they are not fortunate enough then they have to force other people to carry out their willwantneeddesire etc because one man cannot reach anything alone in Randland, one man is nothing without other persons.