DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Perrin's Hammer

Luckers

This Thread is to review a prophecy spoken by Tylee regarding to Perrin:

"When the Wolf King carries the hammer, thus are the final days known. When the fox marries the raven, and the trumpets of battle are blown"

The Karaethon Cycle

In Perrin's Dream where he relives Aram's Death, Perrin is seen doing forge work and cannot figure out what he is making.

Later Perrin is seen gathering lots and lots of more people to him, and he cannot move further. He is also doubting much how much leadership there is to take.

So the question is what does this all have to do with the prophecy above?

Simply this, the Wolf King has tossed away his axe, but he is still not carrying his Hammer.

The Axe is to attack and kill, Even though he used his physical hammer to fight, he was really choosing the axe. We have never seen Perrin accept responsibility for being a leader, only having it forced upon him.

The Hammer is for building up, Perrin has never built up anyone, or tried to be the leader and to forge his people. The pattern has been doing this for him, hence he pulls out the tortured Aram figurine. Another example is in the wolf dream where he meets lanfear, and removes all the armor and such and says that he doesn't want it.

So let's review the events for Perrin:

EoTW: discovers abilities and heads to the blight -- taking up the Axe

TGH: Tracks Padan Fain -- Axe

TDR: Tracks Rand and argues with Moraine, but decides to save Faile -- Axe

TSR: Perrin goes to two rivers and fights of trollocs and whitecloaks -- Axe

FoH: Perrin is mostly absent from the book

LoC: Perrin rescues rand from the Aes Sedai -- Axe

aCoS: Perrin is mostly absent from the book

Pod: Perrin's wife is taken - no real action in the book -- Axe

WH: Perrin is still trying to get his wife back -- Axe

CoT: Perrin throws his axe away, but still no wife -- Axe

KoD: Perrin deals with seanchan finally rescues his wife -- Axe

TGS: Perrin is mostly absent from the book

ToM: Perrin (up to first two chapters still hasn't taken up the Hammer).

So the question is when will his actions take up the figurative hammer. He used it as a weapon, but hasn't acted that way the entire time. If he wants to avoid the :hopper: within he will need to take up the figurative Hammer.

The figurine of Aram is broken, isn't it? (I haven't read the prologue for a while so forgive inaccuracy)

Combine this with the dualism between Axe (destruction) and Hammer (Forge) it seems to me that Perrin failed Aram and was responsible for driving him into Masema's clutches and insanity.

The dream seems to symbolise Perrin's work as a leader; moulding and forging those under him in the right or wrong manner.

Just some thoughts.

RJ already answered that one. The Aiel have a thing for being forged (they view the three-fold land as a way of forging their entire people), and that a man would give up being a soldier that others may fight seems to them a rare and wonderful thing (since they're extremely into warfare). Put those together and blacksmiths become a pretty big deal.

I agree about the peasefully defeat of the DO, both rand and perrine, but i think thats why Matt is the military genius, hes the only one who will do the actual fighting/ military+horn!

after all verin gave a hit about this war not being fought the way rand thinks its suppoed to be.

and i didn't get the perrin ax=war or hammer=create thing untill you said it! it puts that all in a different perspective! good job! and great insight! kudos!

Don't forget all the Faile chapters.

Also reread the entire plotline involving Elayne and Andor succession from TPoD through KoD. You know, just in case that provides any insight.

Then the complete works of Terry Goodkind.

And the Twilight Saga.

I like alot of what Luckers is saying in here.

Sometimes the means have to justify the ends. I think that Luckers is right. I think the last remaining substatial lesson that Perrin needs to learn is that, unfortunately, sometimes he MUST embrace his violent side, and also his natural leadership ability (combined with the destiny the Pattern and his own Tav'ereness have laid out for him) in order to achieve a greater good and help make a world that he and his wife and loved ones can live in where, hopefully, the NEED for the axe is greatly reduced.

Fish

Don't forget all the Faile chapters.

Also reread the entire plotline involving Elayne and Andor succession from TPoD through KoD. You know, just in case that provides any insight.

Then the complete works of Terry Goodkind.

And the Twilight Saga.

I'd Rather read my law text books than read TwiCrap

If you guys are interested in developing this idea, I suggest re-reading those horribly boring Perrin chapters in COT. They are a great preface to Perrin's plotline in TOM.

Nooooooooooooooooooo..........

There is actually some really good stuff in them. They were mostly frustrating because we were all JUST RESCUE HER ALREADY PLZTHX. They were more about Perrin's character development than about action, until the end. Doesn't mean that they are truly boring. Those chapters get a bad rap.

If you guys are interested in developing this idea, I suggest re-reading those horribly boring Perrin chapters in COT. They are a great preface to Perrin's plotline in TOM.

Nooooooooooooooooooo..........

There is actually some really good stuff in them. They were mostly frustrating because we were all JUST RESCUE HER ALREADY PLZTHX. They were more about Perrin's character development than about action, until the end. Doesn't mean that they are truly boring. Those chapters get a bad rap.

i gotta agree on this one.

Archived