DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Earth = Giant Stedding

Mystica

yea im off the thought the age of legends follows our age, and it started with the rediscovery of the one power. Possibly after some catastrophic war maybe not though, but after a large period of conflict anyway. As to why the one power went away, I dunno, perhaps it never did go away and anyone who could channel were generally hidden from the rest of the world with very few ever becoming known, until it got exposed starting what became the age of legends.

Edited by rand4747

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

This is actually an interesting question -  it's really weird that the world of the Ogier is a world where channeling can't occur and they brought that to our world when they invaded. 

The One Power is, from what I understand, sort of the essence of the Creator (TP vice versa) it is strange that Ogier are apparently outside that - even other dimensions like Sindhol have channeling, so what dimension did the Ogier come from that they do not? It is strange, I think it is clear that they are from some separate dimension rather than just another planet, but why do they stand outside of the One Power/True Power dichotomy like that?

I can't recall if the Encyclopedia ever said anything about Ogier but they seem to come from a place even stranger in its way than Sindhol.

On 5/31/2010 at 11:34 AM, Kathleen said:

What makes everyone think that just because we are (in this theory) in a stedding that makes us Ogier? Maybe it was made by them and over time they abandoned it/moved/got kicked out and we moved in maybe not even knowing it was stedding. My thought would be that is this planet all of randland that just got turned into one big stedding somehow in a previous age or are we trying to argue that randland is a whole universe and is broken up across planets too? (in which case is this the planet Rand would have been on turned to a stedding or some other planet that was always a stedding are turned into one)

What if there is a multiverse and in this one there has always been a "stedding" effect on the planet?

4 hours ago, failemandarb said:

What if there is a multiverse and in this one there has always been a "stedding" effect on the planet?

I just think it's a weird effect - it's strange to have a world/universe where the power of the Creator can't reach. 

In terms of a multiverse, well that's kind of the thing, the Ogier, because of the stedding, are very different from the denizens of other worlds, the Seanchan exotics don't need a stedding equivalent for instance (though they don't do super well in our world). 

It just almost makes it seem like the Ogier come from outside the universe the Creator made - they need to return to places where He can't touch them lest they be worn down by existing in that world. 

Which I'm not really sure RJ was thinking of, but the Ogier have seemed weirder the longer I've thought of them. I originally presumed they were just from an alternate universe like the Seanchan exotics, but it seems they actually must be from a different dimension entirely, like Sindhol, but apparently distinct from Sindhol given that Sindhol continues to channel (and is understood to exist in terms of how it fits into the cosmology of the world, but a universe without channeling is not even considered by philosophers). 

I don't think Jordan necessarily thought the existence of multiple deities in his cosmology (although I was admittedly rather hopeful that it would turn out that Shadar Logoth was the Big Unnoticed Thing that could prove to originate from some ancient being associated with the eyes in the World of Dreams) but I find the Stedding perplexing. 

I don't think this was RJs thought, tho it's interesting.  The earth is randland in another age, and the wheel keeps turning. The power or its use wanes as technology waxes. There could be a few factors, like wars of power and red Ajah and Seanchan culling of channelers might simply lower the channeling population (like predator and prey population cycles). And the advance of technology, which we see starting in WoT with steam engines and explosives, make chanelling somewhat redundant. Technology is accessible to anyone, not limited to those genetically predisposed to its use, so it would advance quickly and eclipse channeling as the source of great works and apocalypses. A little canticle for liebowitz as they/we rediscover lost writings and ideas.

Eventually technology leads to world breaking Via wars and overuse etc. and chaneling once more waxes and chanelers repair the broken world and rebuild it and the wheel turns again.

ogier and shedding are something separate and I believe from outside this world, or maybe just this dimension. They seem to have come from somewhere and gotten trapped.  I haven't reread in a while, perhaps they're from somewhere else in this world and got geographically separated, leading them to build or grow steddings to shelter in?

But I don't think RJ saw present day earth as a stedding. The land isn't protected and much of earth is paved over or cut down or farmed or mined in ways not consistent with the ogier we know from randland.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

Ok so ogiers, they have this book of translation. I got the impression that they are some type of "alien" species with "magic" of their own. I.e. tree singing. So is it possible that there are weak points or "wormholes" in the age lace that would make it possible to reach our present day Earth and other universes?  maybe these spots are "translation" points for the ogiers as well? Ogiers are really confusing the more you think about them. 

On ‎2011‎-‎07‎-‎18 at 5:00 AM, Leyrann said:
On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 1:44 PM, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

I don't think this was RJs thought, tho it's interesting.  The earth is randland in another age, and the wheel keeps turning. The power or its use wanes as technology waxes. There could be a few factors, like wars of power and red Ajah and Seanchan culling of channelers might simply lower the channeling population (like predator and prey population cycles). And the advance of technology, which we see starting in WoT with steam engines and explosives, make chanelling somewhat redundant. Technology is accessible to anyone, not limited to those genetically predisposed to its use, so it would advance quickly and eclipse channeling as the source of great works and apocalypses. A little canticle for liebowitz as they/we rediscover lost writings and ideas.

Eventually technology leads to world breaking Via wars and overuse etc. and chaneling once more waxes and chanelers repair the broken world and rebuild it and the wheel turns again.

ogier and shedding are something separate and I believe from outside this world, or maybe just this dimension. They seem to have come from somewhere and gotten trapped.  I haven't reread in a while, perhaps they're from somewhere else in this world and got geographically separated, leading them to build or grow steddings to shelter in?

But I don't think RJ saw present day earth as a stedding. The land isn't protected and much of earth is paved over or cut down or farmed or mined in ways not consistent with the ogier we know from randland.

On ‎2018‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 1:44 PM, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

The Stedding seem to clearly exist apart from our world. They existed in the Age of Legends, I presume they are sort of like reserves, presumably they are territories that the Ogier were able to lay claim to when they first came to Earth? I'm not sure,  but they endure even after the Ogier and trees etc are gone (did the stedding in the Eye of the World even have a Waygate or was it abandoned early in the Age of Legends?) we do know that there are many more stedding in Seanchan than in Randland (which is why those Ogier never had to worry about the Longing). One would think there was a reason that there are more stedding there than in Randland - though it could be related to where points in the Pattern are closer to the Ogier universe or weaker (similar to why Shayol Ghul exists in a specific location, or the Tower of Ghenjei). 

Edited by threadnecromancer

• 3 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, jack of shadows said:

the tower of ghenjei is a gateway to another world,physically,

its in andor.

Ok, are they like the worlds that Rand gets into? Remember in the great hunt and he meets lanfear? They see that grohlm. I understood that world to be of what could've been. Is the tower of ghenji world what could've been or what is in the now? 

4 hours ago, failemandarb said:

Is the tower of ghenji in another universe, accessible by the doorways? Are the towers themselves in shadar logoth, but once you enter them you're in a different world?

•  
  • TED HERMAN

Are they related to Tel'aran'rhiod or do they control Tel'aran'rhiod?

ROBERT JORDAN

No.

TAGS

INTERVIEW: Sep 3rd, 2005

MATT HATCH

The Finns reside in a Parallel World, is that correct?

ROBERT JORDAN

Yes.

MATT HATCH

Okay, so are Parallel Worlds and Mirror Worlds the same thing?

ROBERT JORDAN

No, they are different.

MATT HATCH

Okay, well then do Parallel Worlds have their own reflections?

ROBERT JORDAN

Possibly.

INTERVIEW: Jun 10th, 2010

LUCKERS

This is also from one of Brandon's hash outs with Matt from Theoryland. In it Brandon speaks of the nature of Parallel Worlds.

Brandon: Extrapolations of this question get us to: is there one Dragon for all different Parallels or are they all different Dragons? Traveling through the Portal Stone seems to indicate that there are many different lives Rand could have led. The same thing happens with several of the ter'angreal that people go through. The question then is, are those all separate universes? Do we have a multi-verse sort of concept? Or are they possibilities and do these worlds all exist or could exist, what is the difference. In some of those Rand failed. So, is Rand the Dragon in all of them or is Rand not the Dragon in some of them? What happens in the ones where Rand failed? Are they real worlds? Are those different worlds where there is a different Dark One who then takes over and destroys that world or maybe not, maybe he makes it has he wishes. Or are those just possibilities, reflections of this world that don't really exist except when we touch them? Those are all very good questions. Robert Jordan said that Tel'aran'rhiod is a reflection of all different worlds, which implies other worlds continue to exist. The World of the Finns is something different...

Matt: ...he called it a Parallel World...

Brandon: Yes, the Parallel World, that one and also the one Rand and Lanfear visited are persistent regardless of someone from this world visiting. Yet, many of those seem almost shadowy and reflections of the real world, some of them seem as real just strange when visiting them. What happens in these different world, that sort of thing, those were never questions that Robert Jordan answered...

Ok, my request for clarification is mainly concerned with that last paragraph—specifically it left me confused about whether Brandon is speaking about Parallel Worlds or Mirror Worlds. Brandon seems to lump both in together, describing some as shadowy, some as solid. Brandon describes the Finn world as THE Parallel World (we also know the Ogier world is a Parallel World), but in the same paragraph Brandon seems to define it as a persistent Mirror World of some form, and grants that same allocation to the world Rand and Lanfear visited in The Great Hunt

MARIA SIMONS

Cut Brandon a break, here. I had to look it up to make sure that I had which one was which correct. The 'finn worlds are Parallel Worlds, the Ogier world is a Parallel World. The place that Lanfear, Rand, Loial and Hurin went to was a Mirror World, as were all of the ones in the Portal Stone incident. 

LUCKERS

[Sorry Brandon! I am an uber geek and get carried away and never meant to attack you! Mea culpa!]

1 hour ago, Mrs. Cindy Gill said:

Ok well that's impossible for me to c/p properly - search theoryland interview database for terms Finn, ghenjei, etc. RJ didn't say that much about them and BS seemed confused about them. 

Thanks! I just finished AMOL and just finishing up New Spring. I haven't gotten around to the encyclopedia yet; I'm sure many things are clarified and expounded upon ( hopefully!) I'm sorry if  these are dumb questions! I'll probably have a better understanding when I reread the series!

20 minutes ago, failemandarb said:

Thanks! I just finished AMOL and just finishing up New Spring. I haven't gotten around to the encyclopedia yet; I'm sure many things are clarified and expounded upon ( hopefully!) I'm sorry if  these are dumb questions! I'll probably have a better understanding when I reread the series!

They're not dumb questions. Some of them are answered in interviews and some of them are never really answered. Theoryland interview database is a great place to see what the author(s) actually said about some things and to get frustrated at what they never quite said.

I can't imagine how hard it was for BS to take all of it in.  RJ had an extensive universe that BS had to try to get caught up on.  As Jack said the Tower is simply a gateway, seems you can enter the tower from the real world and world of dreams.  The difference bewteen the tower of ghenji and the red doorways is by entering by the tower means you don't have the protections you receive had you entered by the doorways.  

I don't think RJ necessarily meant that the more shadowy worlds were less plausible possibilities as BS seems to think.

I think the ones that seemed more shadowy and phantomlike were simply further away from "our" universe - our Randland probably seemed the same way to them.

IIRC Jordan also answered Brandon's question re: "What happens if the DO wins in a mirror world" - He has to win in all worlds, simultaneously - or he wins in no worlds, which is kind of paradoxical. 

At the absolute minimum they would not be different worlds with a different Dark One - the DO, like the Creator exists outside the Pattern - although whether he could destroy or remake mirror worlds is an interesting question.