DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What are you reading?

redarm

Reading Dune for the first time.

What do you think of it so far?  I am reading the Battle of Corrin right now.  I liked the original series and I like these newer editions as well.  It's fun to read along and see some of the things that were mentioned only as ancient history in the originals.  

1984 is a classic...

How are you having trouble reading it?

Classics aren't necessarily good. Case and point: The Scarlet Letter. Just thinking about the first page about the gray grayness of the door, the door that is grey. Grey the color of the door which is grey. Makes me shudder.

Daggerspell, book 1 of Volume 1 of the Epic Deverry Series by Katherine Kerr. The book has sat on my shelf for some time since I got out of the habit of reading, so I thought I would give it a try. And I am actually enjoying it at the moment! The scene of incest was a bit of shock to the system as I wasn't expecting it! lol!

1984 is a classic...

How are you having trouble reading it?

Well, at first, when the book was assigned, the fault was tGS, because it was much more interesting. NOW, I'm just too busy with senior year/musical rehearsals/prom to really WANT to sit down and read.

Classics aren't necessarily good. Case and point: The Scarlet Letter.

I actually loved the Scarlet Letter. Then again, my English teacher was the greatest of all time.

I'm reading the Lord of the Rings right now. I just finished The Fellowship of the Ring and I'm part of the way through The Two Towers. Before that I read The Hobbit.

Now you need to get back to reading.  ;)

And I'm on The Sable Quean by Brian Jacques. Go Redwall!

I, like many of you, discovered Brandon Sanderson after reading tGS and am now in the Mistborn series, book 3: Hero of Ages. I read Elantris before that, just to get a feel for his writing style outside of TWOT. After Hero of Ages...I'm not sure. Warbreaker is next on my list, but i'm on a waiting list for that at the library. I like to read before I buy..mistborn was an exception. lol.

I flew through the first two Hunger Games books very quickly at my wife's request...didn't find them that bad. Juvenile, but entertaining. I would love to read the newest Landover novel. I read those in HS and found them very entertaining. :D

But what WILL i read next? Most likely Warbreaker. That, or begin an note-taking reread of TWOT to satiate my own curiousity on where everyone has come and gone to. :)

Just finished The Gathering Storm.  Now I'm wandering around without direction.  I'm leaning towards continuing A Storm of Swords, but I have been stuck on that book for almost a year now.  The first two were so good, but this one is mind numbingly boring.  Unfortunately I need to get it done in order to continue.  I'm assuming the next book is better.

Forgive me, it was late...you are right  :-[  I am trying to read through A Feast for Crows again, not A Storm of Swords. A Storm of Swords was excellent, as were the two books before it.  It's just this 4th book that I am struggling with.

Also just finished Red Seas Under Red Skies, by Scott Lynch.  Not nearly as good as the first, but I still enjoyed most of it.

Aside from being a huge fantasy fan, I've been dabbling with some books on the Manbooker shortlist/long list. I will say that I absolutely love David Mitchell. I've read all of his books and eagerly awaiting his new novel comming out in June, Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet .

I just put down David Foster Wallace's Infinite Jest and looking for something new. Any suggestions?

Currently re-reading 1984 by George Orwell, then I plan on re-reading Lord of the Flies.

Guess I am feeling the need to go back and re-read a few classics, as my interpretations of them vary by age, so I try to re-read them every decade or so.

I think The Count of Monte Cristo is one of the best books ever written, period.