Red2111

On ‎2017‎년 ‎11‎월 ‎9‎일 at 3:23 AM, Tyzack said:

Wacthed Thor: Ragnorok last night...

As a slap-stick comedy: 8/10

As an "action movie": 7/10

As a "super hero movie": 9/10 

(essentially a blend of the first two)

As a stand-alone work of dramatic fiction: 5/10

Yeah I thought it was quite funny.  Friggin' Rocks stole the show.

• 1 month later...

Black Panther; great movie.

I didn't get why the rhino-calavrly tibe sided with the cousin?

The ape-tribe saying they wouldn't join, then joining at the end as sooooooooooooooooo predictable.

I liked the actual ended "Count me amoung those who threw themselves off the ships rather than voyage into bondage" but I didn't like the set up to it; I didn't believe the fight.

• Community Administrator
3 hours ago, Tyzack said:

Black Panther; great movie.

Hide contents

I didn't get why the rhino-calavrly tibe sided with the cousin?

The ape-tribe saying they wouldn't join, then joining at the end as sooooooooooooooooo predictable.

I liked the actual ended "Count me amoung those who threw themselves off the ships rather than voyage into bondage" but I didn't like the set up to it; I didn't believe the fight.

They were gung-ho about the idea even before the cousin showed up. Just watch the scene where his lady friend said they should be out there doing something, and Black Panther said something along the lines of "what, should we have armies out there?" And Rhino dude was all nodding his head and saying his army is at his disposal? They were looking for a fight, and the cousin brought it to them.

I don't think he, running into rhino tribe first was a mistake either.

19 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Reveal hidden contents

They were gung-ho about the idea even before the cousin showed up. Just watch the scene where his lady friend said they should be out there doing something, and Black Panther said something along the lines of "what, should we have armies out there?" And Rhino dude was all nodding his head and saying his army is at his disposal? They were looking for a fight, and the cousin brought it to them.

I don't think he, running into rhino tribe first was a mistake either.

Ahh, that must've been during my bathroom run.

Makes more sense now.

Though...the counsin and the war tribe _do_ have a point, but, then again, so does the BP. Yes, they probably could rule the world if they wanted to, but they'd have to do it be conquest, so, how different, in the end, would they really be from those they are conquering? 

I like the soft-diplomacy approach, but that's not surprising.

[\spoiler]

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Watching? Hmm.. where to start...

First of all, I watch a lot of YouTube, namely stuff from Collider Videos (entertainment news and reviews), Vlogbrothers, SciShow, SciShow Space, Kings and Generals, CrashCourse, Daniel Greene, Nae'blis, Numberphile, Ojectivity, Dr Becky, DeepSkyVideo, Extra Credits (mostly their Extra History series), Hello Future Me, Kevin Smith (I really love his Fatman Beyond with Marc Bernardin who is way cooler than Kevin is), Joe Scott, PBS Space Time, PBS Eons, Second Thought, Trekspertise, Star Wars Explained, and Kurzgesagt -- In a Nutshell as well as a few others. Most of these channels don't put out daily content, but some do.

Recently I just finished watching Killjoys season 5 (loved it, despite the cheese factor), The 100 season 6 (was okay, not my favorite season of the show by any means, but not the worst, that was last season). I also recently watched Doom Patrol which I found to be my favorite telly show of the year so far; it's combination of the sublimely weird with the incredibly ridiculous and wholeheartedly meta nature all while taking itself seriously and looking at itself as a joke (yes, both at the same time) made it this concoction that I found to be a near perfect show for me. However, neither Titans or Swamp Thing came anywhere near as good (watching season two of Titans currently). I also just finished catching up on Man in the High Castle preparing for the fourth and final season this fall, really enjoying this incredible show. Too many people are sleeping on this one! Also seen are Hanna (okay), Stranger Things season 3 (fine), Pennyworth (frakking weird!!), The Originals season 5 (cheese ball goodness!), Legacies season 1 (and now watching season 2; even more cheese!!), Space Command (a pilot episode for a show written and directed by "Mr SciFi" Marc Zicree, a long time highly credited SF writer for television, lots of credits on imdb, the show is available on YouTube, cast includes Robert Picardo, Doug Jones and Mira Furlan). I checked out and rather enjoyed Carnival Row even though I'm not a fan of Delavigne; it wasn't "great" by any means, but I liked it. Another show I watched since I was last on Dragonmount was Nightflyers and the only thing I have to say about that: DON'T. Just... don't. The Boys was freaking awesome though, and I wasn't expecting that. I was expecting a show overloaded with gore for the sake of gore, and a whole lot of misogyny. But, at the insistence of one of the YouTubers I trust (on Collider Video), I gave the show a shot and it was pretty danged incredible, and totally went against all of my expectations. Yes, there were several scenes with some very explicit gore, but they by no means dominated the show as I thought they would.

I'm also watching some new seasons of stuff, shows that just started back up: SupergirlThe FlashBlack LightningArrowRiverdale (yes, I know this show is incredibly bad, but I just can't stop watching, and the season opener almost had me balling in tears as they addressed the sad loss of Luke Perry by having his character die, and a funeral was held and it was all just too much for me to take while rather stoned ? ), Supernatural (coming to an end finally!), and Star Wars Resistance (you don't have to be a kid to enjoy it, you just have to be in tune with your inner child ?). And of course, I'm also watching the new CW/DC show Batwoman and really enjoying it. I love, absolutely love, all the CW/DC shows, though Legends of Tomorrow is my favorite. And yes, I know they are oft ridiculous and make no sense, riddled with plot wholes (like all CW shows). And I know that almost nobody in my age demographic (mid 40s) watches nearly as much CW as I do, but I just can't stop. Light! I'm even watching Nancy Drew which I can only describe as being a cute show.

As far as movies are concerned, I recently saw the Downton Abbey movie (8.5/10), as I was a massive fan of the series (so much so I never waited for it to be aired on PBS here in the states, I'd watch it the same day it aired in the UK, if you know what I mean...). Once Upon a Time...in Hollywood (8.7/10) was a fun time in the theatre, and I think it will get nominated for Best Screenplay, Best Supporting Actor (Brad Pitt), and Best Supporting Actress (Julia Butters). Other nominations are possible, including Cinamatography and maybe Directing and even Editing, but despite what I've seen discussed by some online, I don't see it getting Best Picture nomination just yet (have to see what else comes out this Fall). I finally got around to watching Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them (7.0/10) which I'd put off because I really don't like Redmayne (he really annoyed me when I watched him in the Pillars of the Earth miniseries). The other movie I finally caught up on recently was Spider-Man Into the Spiderverse (9.8/10) and it totally blew my frakking mind! One of the best animated movies I've ever seen (up there at the top with Aladdin {10/10}, my all time favorite, and Finding Nemo {9.9/10}), and the best Spider-Man movie of all time, even better than the two solo films Tom Holland has done.

Watching stuff has drawn me away from pretty much everything, but as you can see from the content I watch on YouTube, a lot of it is educational stuff, at least on a day to day basis. I've been working at cutting back the number of channels I'm subscribed to (down about 40% from this time last year), and am trying to read more often again. I've also started to write, or at least do more outlining and working on my worldbuilding notes. I've actually now got a writing partner (it seems), which will help with my major issue of not being able to decide between potential plotlines A or B or C (that's been a major hinderance for me these past 10-15 years). Some of the shows I watch actually do a lot to get the creative juices flowing in my head, not so much in giving me story ideas directly as in "hey, I like that story thread there, let's use that" more like "hey, that was an interesting plotline they just used, but what if it went this way instead?" type thing, and from there it just evolves.

Okay, that's enough of a Wall of Text I think. Hope your eyes aren't hurting too much! ?

Edited by imlad
adding a link

Just finished watching Sanditon on Monday, and I'm torn as to my opinion. It was adapted by Emmy and Bafta award winner, Andrew Davies. He was also the force behind the outstanding BBC adaptation of Austen's masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice, starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Sanditon starred Rose Williams, Theo James and Jack Fox, (of the Fox acting dynasty; seriously, if you don't know who they are you need to change that), and was an unfinished novel. Sadly, despite superb acting from a stellar cast and some wonderful, scenic shooting for the backdrop, the series ended feeling like it too was unfinished.

I didn't actually realise it was the final episode because it felt so much as if one more installment was required to complete the story. Austen is renowned for providing her protagonists with adversity yet always, ALWAYS, giving her readers a happy ending. Cue outrage and uproar across social media when viewers watched the end of this series last Sunday. I suspect it's, at least in part, due to it being a project for ITV (commercial channel) instead of the BBC but it was a huge disappointment and felt like a waste of 8 weeks. *le sigh* 

Favourites for me this year have mostly been Amazon originals. New Amsterdam, a hospital drama which had a knockout first season with brilliant casting, strong main plot and entertaining sub plots; Good Omens, (need I say more? Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman together are double strength genius, and the casting was inspired. Particularly the, always underrated, David Tennant); American Gods, (more Neil Gaiman weird genius plus mythology and a hefty dose of the ever twinkling eyed Ian McShane, what's not to love?); and Jack Ryan, strong casting again in this one with John Krasinski taking lead very credibly, ably supported by Wendell Pierce. I enjoyed all the movie adaptations of the Jack Ryan novels but wasn't sure how the action would translate to the small screen. The answer is, incredibly well... much to my surprise. Thank heavens Season 2 is out November 1st.

10 hours ago, Illian Tear said:

YouTube is like all I watch. Did go to a Monty Python and the Holy Grail movie party at my Alamo Drafthouse.

What sorts of content do you consume on YT? And I'm so jealous that you have an Alamo Drafthouse near you. ?

1 hour ago, Taymist said:

Just finished watching Sanditon on Monday, and I'm torn as to my opinion. It was adapted by Emmy and Bafta award winner, Andrew Davies. He was also the force behind the outstanding BBC adaptation of Austen's masterpiece, Pride and Prejudice, starring Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Sanditon starred Rose Williams, Theo James and Jack Fox, (of the Fox acting dynasty; seriously, if you don't know who they are you need to change that), and was an unfinished novel. Sadly, despite superb acting from a stellar cast and some wonderful, scenic shooting for the backdrop, the series ended feeling like it too was unfinished.

Favourites for me this year have mostly been Amazon originals. New Amsterdam, a hospital drama which had a knockout first season with brilliant casting, strong main plot and entertaining sub plots; Good Omens, (need I say more? Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman together are double strength genius, and the casting was inspired. Particularly the, always underrated, David Tennant); American Gods, (more Neil Gaiman weird genius plus mythology and a hefty dose of the ever twinkling eyed Ian McShane, what's not to love?); and Jack Ryan, strong casting again in this one with John Krasinski taking lead very credibly, ably supported by Wendell Pierce. I enjoyed all the movie adaptations of the Jack Ryan novels but wasn't sure how the action would translate to the small screen. The answer is, incredibly well... much to my surprise. Thank heavens Season 2 is out November 1st.

So I'm guessing you'd say "no" if someone asked if you would recommend the series? Even considering that person likes costume dramas and romance dramas? I really really loved Good Omens (still haven't read any Terry Pratchett, unless it was a short story in a mag or anthology somewhere and I didn't notice), but he's on my TBR now. This show was the reason why I now totally picture Tennant as Ba'alzamon (well, him or Andy Serkis, as long as Andy shaves) ?.

The other shows I'm familiar with; I'd read the book American Gods and actually gave a couple of copies to people (including a bloke I met at a party one night). I watched the first season and enjoyed it, but cuts had to be made in my line-up of shows each season due to the sheer amount of Good Television (or Genre Television, or the greatest: Good Genre Televion). There is an overload, even if you stick to one genre, of telly out there, both old shows and currently running shows. You just can't them all, and if you do, there will probably already be a whole lot more of it made. And I gave up on paying attention to content created by, or related to, Tom Clancy so Jack Ryan is out, although I'm a lttle but curious...

Edited by imlad
edited out a pp from OP's post for size

4 hours ago, Illian Tear said:

Mostly gaming videos, TF2, Minecraft; Paradox games ie: HOI4, ect. Some reddit videos.

Yeah, probably not going to be much in the way of overlap on our channel subscriptions LOL. I'd like to recommend a channel, one you might not have heard of as it is relatively new: Collider Games. It's part of the Collider Network (they've been expanding beyond just their original movie news stuff, going more into the general entertainment market and including games; they even have Sports now). At least give them a looksie and see if their content is of any interest to you. I don't subscribe to them (gaming isn't my thing, aside from tabletop and LARPing), so I just haven't had a reason to, but I like to promote the brand, as I've been watching Collider Videos since they launched; their flagship show, Collider MovieTalk, originally started on AMC's, the movie theatre chain, YouTube Channel as AMC Movie Talk years ago, and then basically got bought by Collider about 3 or 4 years ago or so, and I was watching AMC MovieTalk for about a year before that transition.

Well, now I'm off to watch today's episode of MovieTalk, headline title being "The Batman's Riddle: Jonah Hill Is Out, Paul Dano Is In - Movie Talk" (it will have much more than just that one story of course). I hope some of you come check it out, it is a great source for movie news; and check out Collider.com as well for more entertainment news! I swear, I don't work for them, I'm just a consumer and self appointed shameless shill ?.

7 hours ago, imlad said:

So I'm guessing you'd say "no" if someone asked if you would recommend the series? Even considering that person likes costume dramas and romance dramas?

I'd say if you can handle watching it regardless of the ending, then it's still worth a watch. It's not quite P&P or Emma, but it's a typically lovely British period production and it's one of those things we just can't be beaten on. The cast are a delight to watch. I enjoyed the whole thing right up to the last 5 minutes lol.

I still have to see the D Abbey film. I loved the series, which I binge watched after it was all over on TV, so hope the film lives up to expectations.

7 hours ago, imlad said:

still haven't read any Terry Pratchett,...

Yeah. No. That's unacceptable. :tongue: Get on that asap... 

7 hours ago, imlad said:

There is an overload, even if you stick to one genre, of telly out there, both old shows and currently running shows. You just can't them all, and if you do, there will probably already be a whole lot more of it made. 

I only have Amazon and standard UK cable TV so I'm not especially overloaded. I don't watch a huge amount of terrestrial TV outside of favourites we've been following for years or UK based documentaries. A lot of the shows I watch are either catching up with series I missed in the past or seeing US and Aussie shows that must be acquired lol. Chesapeake Shores is one of my current guilty pleasures in the "not available in the UK" category. Lucifer will now be in my "not accessible unless you pay for it" category as it's shifted to Netflix.

2 minutes ago, Taymist said:

I'd say if you can handle watching it regardless of the ending, then it's still worth a watch. It's not quite P&P or Emma, but it's a typically lovely British period production and it's one of those things we just can't be beaten on. The cast are a delight to watch. I enjoyed the whole thing right up to the last 5 minutes lol.

I still have to see the D Abbey film. I loved the series, which I binge watched after it was all over on TV, so hope the film lives up to expectations.

Yeah. No. That's unacceptable. :tongue: Get on that asap... 

I only have Amazon and standard UK cable TV so I'm not especially overloaded. I don't watch a huge amount of terrestrial TV outside of favourites we've been following for years or UK based documentaries. A lot of the shows I watch are either catching up with series I missed in the past or seeing US and Aussie shows that must be acquired lol. Chesapeake Shores is one of my current guilty pleasures in the "not available in the UK" category. Lucifer will now be in my "not accessible unless you pay for it" category as it's shifted to Netflix.

I've seen some mighty fine documentaries come out of the UK, whether about the UK or not. Totally loved The Planets earlier this year, and watched a number of documentaries with Dr Alice Roberts earlier this year and loved them (she's pretty good at presenting to the public, and the dirty old man in me appreciated watching an attractive woman who is much smarter than me and about my age range talk about sciencey stuff ? ). I especially love British made history docs, seeing as I'm a bit of an anglophile (much to the chagrin of my dad who has always been uber sympathetic with all the Irish and Scottish anti-English causes, ya know? And the irony is, I was raised Episcopalian aka totally Protestant/Anglican, not Catholic as you would think given his anti-English proclivities). 

I agree with you on the documentaries. I always enjoy the David Attenborough natural history and wildlife ones as I've grown up watching him. I also like the history ones presented by archaeologist and historian, Neil Oliver.

On 10/18/2019 at 7:19 PM, imlad said:

seeing as I'm a bit of an anglophile (much to the chagrin of my dad who has always been uber sympathetic with all the Irish and Scottish anti-English causes, ya know? And the irony is, I was raised Episcopalian aka totally Protestant/Anglican, not Catholic as you would think given his anti-English proclivities). 

*shaking my head* There's so much wrong with that paragraph that I can't even.:sad: I don't want to derail an entertainment thread with a political tear though. :mellow: