DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Gaul, Bain, and Chiad

Rahela Sedai

I'm rereading the series and I'm not yet halfway through but this has been bugging me for a while. Am I correct in thinking that Gaul develops feelings for Chiad or Bain and whoever it is returns those feelings? My memory is a little fuzzy; I think it might be Chiad because that's like the ultimate Romeo and Juliet thing since their clans are in a blood feud....and it just seems like something Robert Jordan would write. Hahah can anyone help me out?

Indeed so, it is Chiad he loves, and he tells Perrin that he does not like Bain but, as they are first-sisters, he will marry both so as to be able to marry Chiad. He is nevertheless upset with Chiad that she will not give up the spear to marry him, and tells Perrin that if she cares enough about him as her behavior indicates, she ought to be willing to do so. See about the middle of the chapter ``Hill of the Golden Dawn'' in <i>A Crown of Swords</i>, beginning where Gaul says to Perrin, ``Women are stranger than drunken wetlanders''. (Bottom of page 119 in the paperback edition.)

I brought up in another thread that this always bothered me.

Chiad - Gaul, I don't want to marry you.  I will sleep with you but only if you promise to sleep with my hot friend as well.

Gaul - Nope, not interested in that.

A man is offered guilt free, no strings attached sex from an attractive woman AND her friend, and turns it down because she won't marry him.  

I'm sorry, this may be really sexist but it's the only part of the story I don't believe.

That's why I love the Maidens.  They get to choose what they are going to do and everyone who is not a Maiden can pound sand.

It's a love thing, I would say. Think of, I don't know, a cheese burger? You are hungry, want one (badly), and you are given one for free, but there is a catch: you don't like cheese.

In all seriousness, though, I think Gaul wants Chiad (exclusively). Bain doesn't  get him going at all. Hey, it can happen, even to an Aielman.

Or Gaul is really in touch with his feminine side, and a no strings attached just repulses him  :-[

Yeah I get the feeling Gaul is a one woman man, threesomes don't float his boat. Besides Bain is just a part of the Chiad package, not the main event. Though I don't know why he wouldn't just marry Chiad and Bain could find someone she loves, isn't it just if you both love the same man that you should both marry him? Seems to me like Bain is a little indifferent except that she wants Chiad to be happy.

``Though I don't know why he wouldn't just marry Chiad and Bain could find someone she loves, isn't it just if you both love the same man that you should both marry him?''

Since Bain and Chiad are bonded first sisters, Aiel custom means that Gaul must marry both if he marries one, or such is my understanding at any rate. What seems strange to me is that in the discussion in <i>A Crown of Swords</i>, what Gaul tells Perrin suggests that Gaul is not yet in any relationship with Chiad, yet towards the end of <i>The Shadow Rising</i>, three books earlier in the series, Gaul and Chiad are hand in hand at the end of the battle to save Emonds Field (p. 938 in the paper edition, towards the end of the chapter ``Goldeneyes''). In public! So I don't know what to make of that.

``As for the hand in hand thing maybe they're waiting?''

I was alluding to the Aiel dislike of public displays of affection.... In any case, it occurs to me that this is just after a battle, and we have RJ's own word for it that Aiel as well as others may shed inhibitions in such circumstances: see the aftermath of the battle against the Shaido before Cairhien in <i>The Fires of Heaven</i>, the first part of ``After the Storm''. Oh well, RJ did a fine job of managing a huge number of details---if he did not always keep everything straight it does not matter all that much.

• 9 years later...
I said women are strange, Perrin Aybara. Chiad told me she would not lay a bridal wreath at my feet; she actually told me.” The Aielman sounded scandalized. “She said she would take me for a lover, her and Bain, but no more.” Another time that would have shocked Perrin, though he had heard it before; Aiel were incredibly . . . free . . . about such things. “As if I am not good enough for a husband.” Gaul snorted angrily. “I do not like Bain, but I would marry her to make Chiad happy. If Chiad will not make a bridal wreath, she should stop trying to entice me. If I cannot catch her interest well enough for her to marry me, she should let me go.

Gaul, I know that you are reading this, so I will be gentle. They were Friends of the Dark, but they also had a little conscience in contrast with their DF boss Faile, I mean, you are not a DF, and they did not want to hurt you at all. Therefore, casual sex was ok, marriage was not. (Faule was qualmless, her given task was luring forcing Perrin to the Dark Side, and she did that flawlessly.)

Er, can I be honest with you? This whole thing has nothing to do with 'conscience', you are a good for nothing, even Darkfriends cannot use you for anything, no offence, men are pretty useless at anything in general, but sometimes they can add a little spice during sex. That's it. You can ask any woman about it, they will say the same thing. Some women need husband for money, status, power - see my next thread called 'The parallel lives of Sevanna and Morgase', but that's not typical.

Sleep well, and eat a 'a baked food, usually in loaf or layer form, typically made from a mixture of flour, sugar, and eggs' and this way there's no need for the mods to do anything, because this is a family-friendly messageboard, and everything we post is family-friendly.

When I am sitting at the window,

Through the panes, which the snow blurs,

I see the lovely images, hers, as

She passes… passes… passes by…

Over me grief has thrown its veil:-

Less a creature in this world

And one more angel in the sky.

When I am sitting at the window,

Through the panes, which the snow blurs,

I think I see the image, hers,

That's not now passing… not passing by…

Oh, remember this line from Egwene's favorite song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbU3zdAgiX8) "I'm dreaming my life away"? Gaul, do not dream your life away. I almost forgot to mention that Egwene's school in Rhuidean is a very cool  :wink:  place, anybody can join them. Maybe you should go to her, and relax a little bit.

@realEgweneal'Vere:  I did not mentioned to Gaul that Chiad is alive. What should we do? Send a word to Liah.

If anybody is wondering, I'm still sane.

Outside where the trees

Are rustling to a standstill

The only thing I see

Beyond them is the ocean.

It is intensely blue,

Flashing here and there,

And in its lazy wave

There is a sleepy sighing.

But neither I nor the ocean

Sleeps on this gentle day,

And it calms while it advances,

And I don't think and I'm thinking.

I brought up in another thread that this always bothered me.

Chiad - Gaul, I don't want to marry you.  I will sleep with you but only if you promise to sleep with my hot friend as well.

Gaul - Nope, not interested in that.

A man is offered guilt free, no strings attached sex from an attractive woman AND her friend, and turns it down because she won't marry him.  

I'm sorry, this may be really sexist but it's the only part of the story I don't believe.

That's why I love the Maidens.  They get to choose what they are going to do and everyone who is not a Maiden can pound sand.

Oh I don't think he has a problem with the sex, it's the relationship part that bothers him.

And it's not the fact that Bain is part of the deal that's really the problem, it's the fact that Chiad won't give up the spear for him. Gaul wants to settle down and start a family, Chiad doesn't want that.

Young men only think about sex, but when they get older, they start to want to put down some roots. Gaul is not a young man anymore.

Edited by SolarZ

If you found someone you really care about it should bother you some that they will only be with you if you agree to be in a relationship with their friend also.  Especially if you really don't like that friend very much.  I could see the threesome idea being fine if you just want to have fun, but since Gaul really likes Chiad I could see him being a bit annoyed that he also has to date this other lady also.

if i recall correctly,according to the wiseone,gaul is a clan chief

material,so maybe settling down is not on the agenda for him just yet.

Well no, on the contrary, clan chiefs are all married. If a clan chief is widowed and not re-married, the wise ones will see to it that he does.