DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Green Ajah Warrior Event] Remembering

Ryrin

NKrAZd0.jpg?1

Each nation has lost warriors in battle. How does your country honor them? How do family and friends honor them?

We honor by remembering in different ways. 

In the U.S. we have "Memorial Day." This is the day we take to remember those of our countrymen/women who have died while serving in the military. People often confuse this holiday with Veteran's Day which honors those who have served in the military.

On Memorial Day, I make it a habit to go to our local cemetery. Volunteers have lined the road with flags and small flags are placed on the graves of those who served. I walk quietly by the graves of those who lost their lives in service to my country. Sadly, there are many.

We also have Veteran's Day in the US where we honor our living warriors who have served.  That will be coming up in just a few days.  We usually have parades, fairs, concerts, and speeches.  All depends on what your town might have planned.  I've found this one to be very important for the ones who come back with the many different scars they receive in battle.

I know Canada also has the poppy as a remembrance for those who have died and served.  I think their Remembrance day is sometime soon too cause all the Canadians are wearing their Poppies.

Oh hey, after a quick look, you guys share the same day as our veterans day.  That's awesome.  I like that we share that as neighbors.

In Norway there are ceremonies around WWII memorials on May 8th to commemorate the second world war. Other than that the soldiers who fought in WWII are usually mentioned as a part of the 17th of May (national day) speeches around the country. 

Rememberance day, like Veterans Day, and all the memorial holidays of the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month originate in armistice day, the day that peace fell over a world ravaged by one of the most pointless of all the pointless wars that have ever been. We honor the fallen and the remnants of the broken survivors and wear poppies and pray that there will be no more war or warriors, and no more need for anyone to lay their lives down, barely more than children, this way.

But there always is and so armistice day evolves and instead of commemorating the dead we now celebrate war and warriors.

I’m thankful to those that serve but we have no real future as long as the need for this kind of service exists.

I still call it armistice day.

I need to find a poppy.

I have a friend whose son was killed in Afghanistan.He was in the reserves but was called up. His mother said "he felt that every American had the duty to give back to his country." He went despite the fact that his father had passed recently from cancer. After his death, his family organized a yearly 5K fun run in his memory and the proceeds go to a scholarship fund where he attended college.

• Elgee locked this topic