DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Green Ajah Warrior Event] Everyday Heroes

Ryrin

LzOL4gb.jpg?1

They assist wounded and disabled veterans. They risk their lives providing health care in some of the darkest places in the world. They rescue flood victims and provide everyday necessities. They stand up for LGBT rights. They help children who are fighting poverty and a lack of opportunities. They rescue hurt and abandoned animals. They clean up rivers, beaches, and lakes.

This is a place where we can share our ideas and stories about everyday heroes. We may learn of them through television and news reports. We may hear of them from friends or groups.

Please join in.

One of my personal heroes is Zemi Yenus. She is from Ethiopia. She spent some time in the United States. Upon her return to Ethiopia, she discovered that many girls were in commercial sex to support themselves.

Her words:

"I saw many unemployed young girls engaged in commercial sex. Poverty could be witnessed in every nook and cranny of the country. I made up my mind to contribute my share for my fellow citizens. I sought after to rescue them from the trouble they were in by coming up with some kind of solution, particularly for young girls.

As a result, I reached a decision to get back home once and for all. On my return home, I opened the first Beauty and Modelling School in the country. My school was the first licensed professional beauty and modelling school. I was eager to teach many unemployed women and men how to do hair, make-up and skin care. Then my dream become a reality.

I was able to train more than six thousand young women and men in the profession including disadvantaged women and young people. In collaboration with non-governmental organizations, I have also taught many young girls free of charge. The exciting thing is that most of them have managed to own business of their own."

Later, she gave birth to a son with autism. She started the first center for autism in Ethiopia.

I was fortunate enough to meet her.

I've mentioned before that my son is a firefighter. I do think that they are heroes. Where we run away, firefighters run towards. Many firefighters died on 911 while trying to save others. When my son was in high school, he was fortunate enough to travel to the East Coast with a group supervised by Smithsonian Travel. They were in New York and one of the leaders took her own time to take him to a New York Fire Station. He was able to tour the department and meet firefighters who responded on that day.

• Elgee locked this topic