DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

lopinginny

dahorac

Hi! I am reading A Memory of Light and in chapter 14 Gaul mentions animal called „lopinginny“.

Here:

“All right,” Perrin said. “I’m going to take us to the Black Tower. We hunt

a dangerous prey, a man named Slayer. You remember Lord Luc?”

“The lopinginny?” Gaul said.

Perrin frowned.

“It is a type of bird,” Gaul said. “From the Three- fold Land. I did not

see this man often, but he seemed to be the type who talked big, but was

inwardly a coward.”

I would like to ask – does the name „lopinginny“ mean something? I mean – there are many fictional animals in WoT. Some of them have names like „blacklance“ or „boar-horse“ (e.g names that actualy means something in English), while there are others with names like „corlm“, „gara“ or „lopar“ (e.g. names with no meaning in English).

What kind is „lopinginny“? It sort of „looks“ English, but does it really mean something? And if so, than what? For example there is English word „loping“, but it does not make a sense to me in this case.

Also, the non-meaning names like „lopar“ are written in italics and so is „lopinginny“.

It is really nothing important, but I was just curious:-)

Hi! I am reading A Memory of Light and in chapter 14 Gaul mentions animal called „lopinginny“.

Here:

“All right,” Perrin said. “I’m going to take us to the Black Tower. We hunt

a dangerous prey, a man named Slayer. You remember Lord Luc?”

“The lopinginny?” Gaul said.

Perrin frowned.

“It is a type of bird,” Gaul said. “From the Three- fold Land. I did not

see this man often, but he seemed to be the type who talked big, but was

inwardly a coward.”

I would like to ask – does the name „lopinginny“ mean something? I mean – there are many fictional animals in WoT. Some of them have names like „blacklance“ or „boar-horse“ (e.g names that actualy means something in English), while there are others with names like „corlm“, „gara“ or „lopar“ (e.g. names with no meaning in English).

What kind is „lopinginny“? It sort of „looks“ English, but does it really mean something? And if so, than what? For example there is English word „loping“, but it does not make a sense to me in this case.

Also, the non-meaning names like „lopar“ are written in italics and so is „lopinginny“.

It is really nothing important, but I was just curious:-)

Dodo Bird came to mind, all too stupid to live long, or Poppinjay, arrogant and flamboyant and boastful, but fleeting when confronted.