DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Walking Dead Season 8

Nolder

I think I wouldn't have minded the episode so much if it was clearer what was going on.

I can tell it was skipping back and forth in time but the actual sequence of events wasn't...linear I think? If that makes sense?

And then the scenes with old Rick...were those dreams? An alternate reality? What he wished would happen? The far future? Something else entirely?

I don't know and because I don't know I don't care.

Literally the only parts of the episode I enjoyed were when Negan was on screen and that wasn't very long.

Wow, awful episode yet again.

If it weren't for Morgan going beast mode it wouldn't have even been worth watching.

I really don't enjoy this too cute by half cold opening stuff.

Maybe once in a blue moon it's ok but twice in a row is way too much for me when I don't really even enjoy it in the first place.

I really hope they stop by next week or I may just drop out of this season entirely.

If it weren't for Morgan going beast mode it wouldn't have even been worth watching.

Maybe once in a blue moon it's ok but twice in a row is way too much for me when I don't really even enjoy it in the first place.

I really hope they stop by next week or I may just drop out of this season entirely.

Haven't they been doing cold opens since the show began? I can remember being struck very early on by how the theme music began at the end of the cold open, a second or two before the opening credits.

Haven't they been doing cold opens since the show began? I can remember being struck very early on by how the theme music began at the end of the cold open, a second or two before the opening credits.

Yeah they've done a few. 

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

That's it then.

Ok so I have two big problems with how the season ended.

1) First and foremost was Eugene turning traitor on Negan. Say what you will about former friendships and blah blah blah Eugene's character is "smart coward". With Negan he no longer had to be a coward and he had someone who actually appreciated his skills and didn't just put him down (ok Negan did a little of that but it wasn't in the way Rick's crew did). Eugene had power and respect and a purpose as one of Negan's Lieutenants. Not only that but Eugene was let in on Negan's master plan and knew it would work. The only reason it didn't was Eugene's sabotage. It makes no sense whatsoever in my opinion. You can say oh but Eugene was still friends with Rick's crew all you want. Eugene's character has always been to be a loner and look out for himself he wouldn't risk his position for Rick and his people even if they WERE his friends. Call it character development if you want I call it Eugene Ex Machina and in so doing they ruined what credibility the show had left to tell a good story IMO.

2) Second is Rick's "quadruple cross" as I call it. This one isn't as egregious as Eugene and they did set it up to a certain degree with Carl's letter but even so it managed to ruin Rick's character for me as well. They spent a lot of time breaking Rick down these past couple seasons. To the point where he's started to do obviously evil things. Even before he read the letter he had a basic idea of what it said and he knew that Carl didn't want him to kill Negan. And yet he continued killing Negan's men anyway and promised to kill Negan himself. So I don't believe for a second that actually reading the letter should have changed his mind. With all that said we come to the "quadruple cross". I call it that because the writers had us think that Rick was going to kill Negan, then they had us believe that actually Rick was going to be able to reason with Negan into working with Rick's group, then they had us believe that Rick tricked Negan and actually killed him, oh but just kidding we're going to stitch his neck up (before he bled out? yeah right) and let him live but only in a cell not how Carl wanted. Tee hee such good writing amirite guys? You all thought you knew what was going to happen but then it didn't but then it did but then it didn't again but then it actually did but not how you thought hahaha wow we're so clever. Seriously though there is something to be said for surprising an audience and then there's just flipping the story on it's head several times so no one has any idea wtf is going to happen because nothing is following the flow of the arc set forth from the beginning anymore. A Rick gone rogue, an evil Rick, could have been genuinely interesting. How would other characters relate to the things he was doing? A Rick gone bad and then gone good again is boring. We've done this for 8 seasons now and all we got out of it was a beard and Carl's death. I don't know about the rest of you but I probably wont be watching next season.

P.S. That bit at the end with Maggie getting a group together to kill Negan makes no sense to me. Why was Jesus there? Isn't he always the one saying not to kill people and all that? Am I forgetting something? It should have been a one on one with Daryl.