DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

White Ajah Middle Earth Event - Mashi's Movie Rewatch: The Fellowship of the Ring

Mashiara Sedai

Gah! Made me look...

"Fly!" was a common phrase for Gandalf. In the Flight to the Ford, Gandalf said:

‘Fly!’ he called. ‘Fly! The enemy is upon us!’

When confronted by a pack of wolves, he said:

‘Listen, Hound of Sauron!’ he cried. ‘Gandalf is here.

Fly, if you value your foul skin! I will shrivel you from tail to

snout, if you come within this ring.’

And when the Balrog was first revealed, but before he confronted it on the bridge, he said:

‘Fly! This is a foe beyond any of you. I must hold the narrow way. Fly!'  

Tolkien used 'fly' as a synonym for 'run quickly' elsewhere in his writings. For the link's theory to be accepted, we'd have to treat only the movies as canonical.

But it's an interesting theory, I must admit. Right up there with Jar-Jar Binks being an undercover Sith Lord.

I don't believe the theory; I just think it's fun. Like you, I think the "Fly, you fools!" is too much of a stretch, but I saw the opening, and I couldn't resist. :tongue:

Just started The Two Towers as the next part and to help me calm down from the morning. I have to say, when that choir comes in......so many chills.

I doubt anyone could have helped Gandalf. My recollection from the books is that he was on the ledge no more than a couple of seconds, and any rescuers would have had to dodge the arrows of the Orcs on the other side. Gandalf said, "Fly, you fools!" as a way of preventing anyone from being killed in a futile rescue attempt.

And I'm pretty sure that Gandalf did, in fact, die from his fall and subsequent ordeal.

Did he? :smile: 

https://www.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-see-lord-of-the-rings-mind-blown

o_O

my brain just broke....

Just started The Two Towers as the next part and to help me calm down from the morning. I have to say, when that choir comes in......so many chills.

I doubt anyone could have helped Gandalf. My recollection from the books is that he was on the ledge no more than a couple of seconds, and any rescuers would have had to dodge the arrows of the Orcs on the other side. Gandalf said, "Fly, you fools!" as a way of preventing anyone from being killed in a futile rescue attempt.

And I'm pretty sure that Gandalf did, in fact, die from his fall and subsequent ordeal.

Did he? :smile: 

https://www.tickld.com/x/this-guy-just-changed-the-way-we-see-lord-of-the-rings-mind-blown

o_O

my brain just broke....

:laugh:

• Elgee locked this topic