The Way of Kings

Leyrann

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Elantris, Mistborn: The Original Trilogy or The Stormlight Archive are all good starting points.

I myself started with Mistborn, but with all three books/series I just got hooked after a while and could barely stop reading. Disadvantage of The Stormlight Archive (and the second Mistborn Trilogy) is that they're not finished yet.

As for the Mistborn trilogies, they're seperate, but in the second series the events of the first series are referenced quite a bit, so it's just better to start with the original trilogy.

And the choice between those three is basically this:

Elantris: About a city where people are basically dying in some way, where their wounds forever keep hurting and do not heal.

Mistborn: The chosen one from prophecy came to save the world... and failed. The sky is filled with ash, the sun is blood red, everyone is oppressed by the immortal, all-powerful Lord Ruler and there's no hope of getting out of it any time soon.

The Stormlight Archive: Sometimes, a storm comes with extreme fury, which blows over the entire continent. Anyone who has not found shelter will be carried away and will die. "Sometimes", here, meaning "about once a week".

So, which world do you like most?

So the thing is, I now got some new ideas to work with, and I can actually start writing again (though I do need to work out what exactly each kind of magic can do, but that's not going to be that much work), but I'm too busy with university, reading, watching League of Legends and playing League of Legends with friends to actually get to it...

Meh.

And on top of that I cannot find a comparision of infrared luminosity between the sun and an average red dwarf.

He's quite fast and got quite a few years ahead of him most likely, so I'd say it should be fine.

Also, I am only something like halfway through Words of Radiance at the moment, maybe even less (I couldn't wait until this weekend so I got the epub version which I'm reading now), but I'm starting to feel like there are some words that Brandon Sanderson used in Wheel of Time that Kaladin also needs to hear: "Let go."

Yeah, I loved Kaladin in the first book, but in the second book, he became an emo burden, much worse than Perrin in his search for Faile or Jon Snow in the earlier Ice and Fire books. If I recall correctly, he snaps out of it by the end of the book.

Alright, never read anything of Sandersons other than WoT, so where would be a good place to start?

Mistborn. Elantris is a nice premise and an interesting magic system, but I thought a lot of the dialogue, especially between the protagonist and heroine via correspondence at the beginning, was painful to read. The ending is exciting, but overall, the book was pretty "Meh." I would like to see him revisit it and do it better justice, and when I saw him at a book signing four years ago, he said that he planned a sequel to Elantris, but that a few other books were ahead of it still, like finishing the Mistborn stories.

Mistborn is really good. Imagine a world where Sauron wins, and hope dies. A desperate, impossible resistance forms among thieves, and slim hope renews. As the hope begins to swell, a growing despair accompanies it as the protagonists learn how the world really works. It is a very unique story and one that I wish he'd get back to as promised, but he got distracted by writing detective novels set in the same world. :dry: Now that those are finished, perhaps he will continue with the story proper, as it is supposed to be three trilogies: one in the past (completed and quite good), one in the present (quit horsing around and write it, Brandon), and one in the future (yeah, right...about the time that Winds of Winter gets published. :tongue:

Nevertheless, the three Mistborn books tell a complete story, and I think almost anyone who likes fantasy would like Mistborn. I know it's three books instead of just one, but I promise you it is better than Elantris and worth your time, and it is really not that long. Elantris doesn't suck, but Mistborn is far more polished and it is a deeper, more rewarding plot. You will like it. 

Also, it you haven't already, don't read the spoiler in Leyrann's earlier post; it ruins a wonderful reveal.

Edited by Gentled Ben

I'm almost done with Knife of Dreams, and I'm debating whether I want to listen to TGS or just jump back into Stormlight. I kind of feel like I can get one more book in before I need to start up with Way of Kings, but KoD is a good place to pause in WoT because it was where I was forced to pause the first time. 

Imo it was the worst pause in all the series. It was the last book we had, but I managed to catch the Dutch translation of TGS a week or two after, which had been released pretty recently. Felt like a much better ending for me. You know, not in the middle of a scene, that kind of thing.

I changed my mind. That's 50 hours long and will probably leave me listening to Words of Radiance long after I might have started on Oathbreaker, so I grabbed a couple of Ursula K.LeGuin's Earthsea books, instead. The first one, which I read a few times long ago, was only 4 bucks, and so was Tales From Earthsea or some such, which has stories that I'm unfamiliar with. Given the choice, I would listen to The Farthest Shore, but that one is $17, not $4, like the other two were. Can't really go wrong for $4, especially when you already know that you like one of the stories, even if you know it fairly well. So...I will listen to those, and if I am still ready too soon, I will listen to Shadows in Flight to finish up my Ender's Game books. 

I'm really excited about Oathbreaker. I hope there's lots of Lift in it; she is my favorite so far. :smile:

Well, I'm reading the already released chapters right now, and so far (up to chapter 17) no Lift, sadly. I also saw in some of the comments that apparently BS said it'll take a while until she reappears, and he put in that chapter to introduce her already earlier on. So, probably gonna be a while longer.

Many interesting things happening in those chapters by the way. They're over here:

https://www.tor.com/series/oathbringer/

• 2 weeks later...

I think that right now I'm doing the nerdiest thing I've ever done. There's a theory that attempts to explain (starting at snare theory) the workings of the Cosmere, called L-Theory of Realmatic Strings. And right now, I'm working on a post to explain every single magic system in the Cosmere using that theory, down to every single metal in the metallic arts and every surge in surgebinding.