DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Spartacus

Nolder

Has anyone here watched this show? I've been watching it on Netflix and I have some thoughts.

First I want to get out of the way that I know the main guy got cancer and the show was ultimately cancelled so maybe what I hope for doesn't come to fruition, I'm only 10 episodes in.

With that said the show seems to be aiming at a certain audience. When there's violence it is very gruesome with lots of CGI blood and to the tune of rock anthems. Sex and nudity is near constant and rages from casual to depraved. This is Game of Thrones on steroids as far as sex and violence. You can imagine what audience they were aiming this show at but underneath there is something that is holding my interest. It is the story about a man, a slave, who has been broken down and remade into a Gladiator. And he wants to fulfill that role. He wants nothing more than to be the champion of the arena and to be the best slave that he can be. But these damn Romans keep giving him more and more reason to hate them! Sometimes the acts of cruelty aren't even against him but merely in his presence but there is a near constant reminder that the people who he calls master are worth nothing but contempt. I don't know what it is about that that I find so entertaining. I think I'm waiting to see the breaking point. How far can they push him before he turns into the leader of an uprising we know of well?

Anyway if anyone has seen it let me know what you think but please spoiler major plot spoilers.

• Community Administrator

Do you know if the show ends on a cliffhanger or not?

I am ok with a rushed ending but cliffhangers always suck.

Last time a show I liked left me on a cliffhanger I was emo for like 4 years.

Season 1 ended on a cliff hanger for sure.... But a good one? 

I can't say for sure if the final season ends on a cliff hanger. It wouldn't surprise me if it did.

A person could easily watch just the seasons with the original Spartacus, and ignore the ones with the new guy and be content.

They could also watch the prequel season for shits and giggles.

Just googled a review of the finale. Looks like it ends with all strings cut.

Edited by SinisterDeath

Did you watch the prequel season? Any good or should I skip it?

It's like a filler season. It's not bad, but not required. But it does give you some back story on some of the other characters. :wink:

Edited by SinisterDeath

I skipped it, didn't miss it. I assume it had something to do with Gannicus becoming the "god of the arena"?

Anyway I finished Spartacus. Actually not a bad show if you don't mind that they seem to be appealing to frat boy college bros or whatever.

To be honest I didn't even notice the main guy switched. I think there were like two episodes where I was like hmmm but it passed quickly.

7/10, if you like tits and swords you'll enjoy this.

I skipped it, didn't miss it. I assume it had something to do with Gannicus becoming the "god of the arena"?

Anyway I finished Spartacus. Actually not a bad show if you don't mind that they seem to be appealing to frat boy college bros or whatever.

To be honest I didn't even notice the main guy switched. I think there were like two episodes where I was like hmmm but it passed quickly.

7/10, if you like tits and swords you'll enjoy this.

/shrugs I like both of those things.