DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Discussion: Animal Companions

Ryrin

Lovely pictures of the kitties, everyone.

Cindy, I really love your descriptions of cats. I have two now, mother and daughter rescues. They are outdoor cats but can get in the garage with blankets and beds during inclement weather. I live in California so we don't get that much. They are cuties, and pretty much stay on our

property. They are wary of others.

Even though we are primarily a dog family, both of my sons love cats. My oldest seems to prefer them. He has a cutie named Sophie. When he became involved with his girlfriend, Sophie got jealous. She tries to knock things off shelves onto the girlfriends head. Lol.

James, cats seem really attracted to my husband and both he and my oldest son areallergic to cats. My oldest takes allergy meds. My husband would love to have a horse. When he was a teen, he took care of one, and was able to ride him. Having horses is really involved. I have a high school friend who went to Vet school and takes care of horses in Washington state.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never really attracted to birds until I met my husband. His parents always had birds. When we got some, I realized how much personality they have. I love my two. I have a conure parrot and a cockatiel. I'll get some pics up this weekend.

Do cats like being around people, or are they only using humans to open doors and operate can openers?

http://www.livescience.com/58438-cats-like-people-more-than-food.html

When researchers investigated cats' preferences for food, toys and social interaction with people, most of the cats sought human attention over everything else — even food. 

How do you feel about "emotional support animals?" They don;t require training like a service animal.

http://usdogregistry.org/information/information-on-emotional-support-dogs/

Emotional support dogs are dogs that provide comfort and support in forms of affection and companionship for an individual suffering from various mental and emotional conditions. An emotional support dog is not required to perform any specific tasks for a disability like service dogs are. They are meant solely for emotional stability and unconditional love. They can assist with conditions such as anxiety, depression, bipolar disorder/mood disorder, panic attacks, fear/phobias, and other psychological and emotional conditions.

Emotional support dogs are protected under federal law

Under the Fair Housing Amendments Act (FHAA) and the Air Carrier Access Act (ACAA), an individual who meets the proper criteria is entitled to an emotional support dog to assist them with their life. The FHAA protects individuals by allowing their emotional support dog to live with them (even when there are no pet policies in place). The ACAA protects individuals by allowing the emotional support dog to fly with them in the cabin of an airplane (without having to pay any additional fees). Any dog can be an emotional support dog, and emotional support dogs do not have to be professionally-trained.

A Medical Recommendation is Required

You are required to have a letter from a doctor or mental health professional recommending that you have an emotional support dog for your condition. You may be asked to present this letter by airline staff when flying or by your landlord when renting a home.

My niece has a support cat and it's been wonderful for her. She spends hours a day doing respiratory therapy in this very loud vest, like a truck. And except for family she's physically and emotionally very isolated to avoid contact with germs which may kill her. She needs the companionship and the comfort.

What's to think? If it helps someone, it's good.

• Club Leader

I've always been bipolar and had bad anxiety. I've also always had pets, who have been emotional support for me. Now, it's a thing. It's even a legal thing. People with pets have always known what wonderful support they are. 

Bree's kitty was actually bred and raised and trained for support, specifically to be handled by children and to be happy with noisy machinery, etc., but not trained to the extent that a service pet would be. But for sure most any pet provides a lot of comfort and support.

I've had cats come and go in my life - right now I only have one. I usually have at least one cow, and we had a number of different animals growing up, but that was livestock, not exactly pets or companions. I sometimes get a hold of odds and ends, like a pig or a chicken, but I generally slaughter them relatively fast, don't keep them around or breed them as of yet. I consider cats my friends, since they come and go as they please, do whatever they like, like a friend; I'm very sad when one of them dies but I don't depend on them for emotional support. Most livestock I've owned, I can't quite see them as friends, since I am obviously using them, but I care about them still if they are around long enough, i.e. I just don't kill them within a few weeks or months. I feel something for my cows, and, though I haven't had any since I was a kid, I feel something for horses/ponies - any time I have helped take care of them, there is an instant connection there, they get to trusting me pretty fast, though that's a thing with most animals. 

Whatever the case, I don't keep "pets," as pets to me imply something there meant purely for a person's emotional needs or wants - i.e. petting - which I personally don't approve of. They are either friends, like the cats, who can come see me if they want to, or they are there for a practical purpose for my survival, be it food, work, and/or manure.

I'm glad to hear you guys are for emotional support animals. I really think it's needed, because if you rent, many places won't let you have an animal in your home, even if you pay a deposit. My animal friends enrich my life.

I recently came into contact with a friend from high school has has a mental illness. She chooses to wait until she's in before she tells them about her emotional support animal because she has found they will

discriminate against her not only because of her dog, but also her mental illness.

Cindy, does your niece have cystic fibrosis? Where did the kitty get trained?

Lily, I know emotional support dogs who aren't trained like a service animal but nevertheless, they help their humans greatly. 

The letter from the doctor protects the kitty from getting them evicted - normally don't allow pets.

Yes, she has CF. the main breeder has families that breed a very gentle and particularly low allergen strain of siberians. The one that raised the boy has three boys of her own, at that time aged 2-9, who handle and socialize the kittens from birth. They lost their dad the year before, so they're in need of the emotional support themselves. The cats get a lot of cuddle time. When they determine which has the right temperament for the family, they start acclimating it for the special needs. In Duncan's case, they made recordings of the machinery, and of Bree, and desensitized him to the noise and accustomed him to her voice. By the time she picked him up he knew her, slept in her lap, let her carry him like a baby, and ran right to her lap when she put the percussion vest on. Now he guards the baby and her in their sleep and in the bath, anywhere he thinks they need extra watching. He goes on play dates to grandmas house to play with their kitty.

I'm so sorry for her struggles with that disease. I have pretty significant asthma but I know CF is much harder to deal with, so I really have empathy for people who have that. They tested my older son for that when he was a baby. 

That's really awesome that they are able to do that with kitties. I don't know much about them other than I just put out food for a stray one in our neighborhood.

Edited by Ryrin

• Club Leader

I was always firmly a cat person, until my daughter got her first puppy. The dog ended up being my son's, but I fell head over heels for her. Then my daughter tried again (he's mine now) and I fell again. I am now a cat and dog person. My daughter, on the other hand, is firmly NOT a dog person now. She's had some really bad luck with them. 

mom's always had a dog, so grew up with them. tried the cat thing once but really never took. to me dogs are just more loving more of a companion they will work to make you happy if you arent, protect you etc. and i know its that way for some people with cats, just not me. pretty much all my experiences with them have been violent or irritating, and i've gotten the sense of indifference from them. which isnt what i want.  plus well, allergies. 

Ive had enough dogs for one lifetime. dozens. big ones. very protective. some very loving others not so much. all a lot of work and the kind of dogs I prefer are a real handful and are dangerous to others. after I lost my last dog I couldn't face another one. there was so much guilt always with dogs. my kitties are forever babies and while they won't protect me they will take care of me, even if it's just snuggling and purring and looking at me wth love. I can't imagine life without them.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

Some of us have dogs, some, cats, some birds, etc.

Why do you feel particularly drawn to the animals that live with you?

Cats don't want to hump my leg like dogs and they don't need me to watch out for them, they can go where they like generally without ending up in a shelter or scaring people, like a dog would. Dogs get stolen a lot too, while you generally will never have that problem with cats (or at least if someone is stealing any cats I know of, I wouldn't know, I just assume one moves on or died if I never see it again). So basically I can treat them as equals, which I like - don't have to lock them up to have them nearby and they are usually pretty "honest" about what they think of you. If I was going to get a dog, it would be for guarding or hunting, neither of which I really know how to train for and which I don't exactly need.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you have any?  Yes! We have two dogs and five cats (and a tank of occasional fish, but mostly snails at present). We have previously had several other dogs, and a couple of other cats. 

What is your favorite things about them? They are all affectionate, social creatures (except the snails, who don't seem to care much). They give their love, and they know when I need snuggles. I love their softness (and their pointiness, because cats are pointy too), and their expressions, and how they play, and the sounds they make. 

What is your least favorite things about them? Litter boxes (eww, but I change them anyway) and when they don't feel well (and vet bills when they're not feeling well), cause I hate watching my babies not feel good. Right now we are kind of in a run of 'half our pets are elderly' and so they develop problems and then I worry that they're okay. Thankfully they are generally quite healthy or have smaller, treatable problems when they come up. 

Would you like an unusual companion? If so, what? Not unusual, but I've always wanted horses. I just can't fit them in my yard and cannot afford boarding fees and the other expenses involved, so I have to catch my riding where I can (I took lessons and did amateur competitions, taught at Summer camps, for 11 years). 

How we talk about "pets?" Are you an "owner" or a "caretaker?" A "companion?" All of the above? I own them, because I pay for everything, but they are my furkids, and part of our family. They are my companions, and they seem to enjoy my company (given how often I am mobbed by cats showing affection and dog cuddles). The dogs are much the same. 

Are they important for children? Absolutely. I cannot imagine my childhood without our dogs, and my cat (she was the result of begging for a cat from age 1-9, and it was very clear that she was entirely my responsibility. :wink: ). We also had fish. At one point my brother had a guinea pig who was the most social, outgoing one I've ever met. He loved to be held, and made happy noises when he sat on your lap. It's nice to have a friend as a child who just takes you as you are, and likes you anyway. (There's also the 'learning responsibility' thing, but really, I think the empathy and understanding for nature and others is bigger than that.). My son loves having the fish tank in his room (and his kitten, because the new cat is definitely HIS).