DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How familiar are you with Wheel of Time?

blank

don't feel bad blank! I used to have a lot more time for reading than I do now.

I like to read series rather than stand alone novels, so re-reading is a lot cheaper than buying new books!

Since WoT, I love reading series.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For me? It was too many key things happening "off camera" that would have had better impact if experienced from that character's perspective. Especially when it was a character that HAD had a lot of there own POV in the series. So, to see their arc come to an end as an after thought or add on in conversation was just bad. Not to mention I think Sanderson was just a bad pick. He IS a talented writer. I am not saying he is not that. Just that I don't think he was right for THIS project. The tone and pace was just awful. Main characters seemed to be almost rewritten. It just threw me off. 

Basically this.

Also, it's quite well known that RJ wrote the final scene(s) many years ago, before most of the rest of the books were written. I think that were he still alive, he would have rolled his eyes and rewritten most of it. It simply didn't fit with how things (including his own writing), evolved over the years.

I would agree, had I enjoyed the explosion of character arcs after FoH/LoC; i won't enumerate all of them now - but can if asked - but suffice to say that despite some ... cringe worthy ... episodes in the last 3 books, including about 1/4 (maybe 1/3rd, i haven't re-read it) of AMoL, what I liked most was how quickly arcs were ended or folded back in. If there was some bumpyness in the landing, than, whatever, but, tbh, I had given up on the series after (during) Crossroads of Twilight and wasn't going to read anymore until it was finished, so the forced endings, while frequently annoying to read, were worth it to me because they were endings.

Since WoT and aSoIaF, I will never pick up another series again. I wish there were more trilogies really.

You might like Tad William's Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy. Long books, lots of characters, but the story actually comes to an end.

mills is busy. try pratchett or butcher or even Anne mccaffrey or Mercedes lackey. books you can put down frequently and still

enjoy.

yeah but those are looooooooong series. Good. But long. 

mills is busy. try pratchett or butcher or even Anne mccaffrey or Mercedes lackey. books you can put down frequently and still

enjoy.

yeah but those are looooooooong series. Good. But long.

true. but butcher and TP books stand alone very well and mccaffrey and lackey break down into fairly self contained small trilogies.

and to be perfectly honest you can stop reading mccaffrey when Todd takes over and lackey when she starts getting coauthors involved for the most part. it's not like you'll ever be banging your head against a wall waiting for a sequel.

enjoy.

I really enjoy Butcher.

For me? It was too many key things happening "off camera" that would have had better impact if experienced from that character's perspective. Especially when it was a character that HAD had a lot of there own POV in the series. So, to see their arc come to an end as an after thought or add on in conversation was just bad. Not to mention I think Sanderson was just a bad pick. He IS a talented writer. I am not saying he is not that. Just that I don't think he was right for THIS project. The tone and pace was just awful. Main characters seemed to be almost rewritten. It just threw me off. 

Basically this.

Also, it's quite well known that RJ wrote the final scene(s) many years ago, before most of the rest of the books were written. I think that were he still alive, he would have rolled his eyes and rewritten most of it. It simply didn't fit with how things (including his own writing), evolved over the years.

this for me too. I did LOVE Gathering Storm though, I think he did a great job on that one. The rest however were not so much my thing and the last book really pissed me off in several ways. Most specifically how the characters didn't fit with their established personalities anymore. It just did not fit at all.

I've read the series once but did so much research on the series in addition that it feels I've read it multiple times. I researched for the RP side and other stuff so much that I'm really quite familiar without being able to go in to details on names and dates (I always suck at those).

Basically this.

this for me too. I did LOVE Gathering Storm though, I think he did a great job on that one. The rest however were not so much my thing and the last book really pissed me off in several ways. Most specifically how the characters didn't fit with their established personalities anymore. It just did not fit at all.

I've read the series once but did so much research on the series in addition that it feels I've read it multiple times. I researched for the RP side and other stuff so much that I'm really quite familiar without being able to go in to details on names and dates (I always suck at those).

*coughcoughDemandredcoughcough* Greatest disappointment of all for me. 

I know, right?? It was like there was a compute glitch and some other author's series got mungled up with WoT! Especially in the last book, I kept having to refer back to see who the heck was actually "talking", because I couldn't recognise the characters by their words, thoughts or actions. The "magic system" was also not consistent with how it was before. I did a massive lot of research for that for the RP side, so the "she waved her hand airily and the man was healed" type of crap in the last books made me want to smash something. It really shouldn't have been that hard to get right, or failing that, for the people in charge to say "wait what no!".

I've read the entire series once, but did read them repeatedly as each book was released. I dislike Sanderson's writing - even of his own stuff. Appreciate those comments about how RJ's writing was evolving (as I'm sure it was) so the last book was odd. Last year I was reading the series to my 8 year old daughter and couldn't continue as she was getting upset about Siuan and Leann getting stilled. Might have to wait a couple more years.

I know, right?? It was like there was a compute glitch and some other author's series got mungled up with WoT! Especially in the last book, I kept having to refer back to see who the heck was actually "talking", because I couldn't recognise the characters by their words, thoughts or actions. The "magic system" was also not consistent with how it was before. I did a massive lot of research for that for the RP side, so the "she waved her hand airily and the man was healed" type of crap in the last books made me want to smash something. It really shouldn't have been that hard to get right, or failing that, for the people in charge to say "wait what no!".

This is when being dyslexic (or maybe just not a good reader) helps; if I came across a part that didn't make sense, i'd blink twice, then skip over it to where the story started to make sense again...maybe that's why i read them so fast!

I've read the entire series once, but did read them repeatedly as each book was released. I dislike Sanderson's writing - even of his own stuff. Appreciate those comments about how RJ's writing was evolving (as I'm sure it was) so the last book was odd. Last year I was reading the series to my 8 year old daughter and couldn't continue as she was getting upset about Siuan and Leann getting stilled. Might have to wait a couple more years.

I disagree; i was anti-sanderson for a few years after reading his WoT stuff, but his stand alone stuff is very well thought out and doesn't have any of the head-scratching inconsistancies which plauged his WoT work.

I disagree; i was anti-sanderson for a few years after reading his WoT stuff, but his stand alone stuff is very well thought out and doesn't have any of the head-scratching inconsistancies which plauged his WoT work.

I find him unable to get to his own point. 10 books for Way of Kings? No. That is just poor outlining and no one willing to tell him he needs to edit. I've read the first two and wanted to scream at how slow everything was unfolding. And predictably. My husband tells me Mistborn is better but is depressing.

Mr. Gill tells me Sanderson is a good writer when not writing WoT but the things that bothered me about the writing were not the character inconsistencies, because I expected and easily forgave those. it was the basic use of language, the dumbed down phrasing and repetition of words and phrases and generally just ... well.

is that different in his own work? if it is I wonder why that should be.

edit - or maybe autocorrect hates him too.

Cindy, in order to compare I'd have to go and read more Sanderson and I haven't the time nor inclination.

I realize RJ was taking a long time too, and that this turned into 14 books, but what he wrote interested me and kept me waiting for his next book. Not so with BS. 

Archived